Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Want To Be A Late 4th or Early 5th Century Roman
I'm stealing this idea from the Armour Archive. I have limited late Roman resources dealing with later Roman military eras so please feel free to offer your advice as to how you would do this impression. I figure that with my bad back I should be able to get away with this impression without killing my back with the weight of a lorica segmentata. I'm looking at this helmet, what do you think?
http://www.comitatus.net/HelmetsandArmo ... ehelm.html
All areas open to suggestions, armour, arms, clothing, everything!
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
Santell this is a good period if you wish to keep the weight down here is a pic of me in late 4th AD kit a bit of everthing from around the Empire Big Grin
[Image: me.jpg]
Please dont :lol: :lol: to much.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Not at all, mate- great stuff!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Tony, good stuff - like the armour! What helmet is that, I'm not brilliant when it comes to helmet recognition. :lol:
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
www.septimaniseniores.uni.cc
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Santell this is a good period if you wish to keep the weight down here is a pic of me in late 4th AD kit a bit of everthing from around the Empire Big Grin
[Image: me.jpg]
Please dont :lol: :lol: to much.
Very nice kit and very much along the lines of what I am thinking about.
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
Tony, could you tell me where you got your lamellar, or did you make it yourself?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Thanks everone .Mithras the helmet I made is years old ,the top halfis the Burgh helmet ,the neck gaurd is Richaburgh ( SP)with the riveted metal edgeing so I coppied it on the cheak gaurds which an example has been found. The Lameller I made myself ,I didnt Beeswax it though .It has side opening, but I made it like a tube so it has to be put over the head.
[Image: lorica.jpg]
It is laced up the correct way and is authentic in that it made with no modern marerials or glue ,the buckles are forged bronze,I am glad you like Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
It's great! I hope to have a go at making one sometime, mainly for the weight, I think i'd handle lamellar alot better than mail.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Quote:Santell this is a good period if you wish to keep the weight down here is a pic of me in late 4th AD kit a bit of everthing from around the Empire Big Grin
Ooh, very nice! I would go for a long-sleeved tunic, and less flimsy pteryges though?

Quote:All areas open to suggestions, armour, arms, clothing, everything!

Here some images from Fectio: me, Chariovalda and parts of both kits on a young actor:

[Image: dongen2007_groep.jpg]

[Image: rmo2007_2.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And Tony, get some trousers on, your in Sunderland, mate, not Sorrento!

You must be made of sterner stuff than me! Big Grin
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:www.septimaniseniores.uni.cc
Ivan, are you with the Septimani now???
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Mithras no chance I am not wearing trousers ,I could happily live on the North Pole :lol: Sorry Vortigern I need my ams to breathe with Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
My library is weak for the late 4th early fifth era, if you could buy one book to get you going, one with good illustrations,descriptions etc., what would it be? I'm pretty handy at making things so with a good illustration I could make a pretty good copy. By the way, what did you think of the helmet in my first post?
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:3g06kyd6 Wrote:www.septimaniseniores.uni.cc
Ivan, are you with the Septimani now???

Yes, and they are with Primagermanica too!
We've made a fusion-incorporation... :wink:

LATE ROMANS FOR EVER!!!!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 1 262 04-23-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,348 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 992 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs