Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Deal Spolas
Design transferred.
the decoration at the neck which has the same design, will be on the edging itself, as it is sewn through the two layers at the top. The bottom edge is one layer, as the leather at the top of the  ptyrges will make up the extra layer there.

Ready to be painted:

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Beautiful work there!
Joona Vuoristo
(08-25-2019, 08:15 PM)Euparkeria Wrote: Beautiful work there!
Thanks, Euparkeria!
Just finished applying white portions, and will wait to polish and add final whitening until I paint in the decoration, and I will seal everything together.  Anyway, zI am very happy so far!  There is a slight overlap of white at edges of decoration which is good, because it will look seamless when done.  Now I'm going to whiten the yoke and apllay decoration (like front but no gorgon) to back and whiten that.

--Flavius Flav 
(08-26-2019, 05:16 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(08-25-2019, 08:15 PM)Euparkeria Wrote: Beautiful work there!
Thanks, Euparkeria!
Just finished applying white portions, and will wait to polish and add final whitening until I paint in the decoration, and I will seal everything together.  Anyway, zI am very happy so far!  There is a slight overlap of white at edges of decoration which is good, because it will look seamless when done.  Now I'm going to whiten the yoke and apllay decoration (like front but no gorgon) to back and whiten that.
Putting few more coats of whitening on the front sections, yoke should be done until edging app!ied probably tomorrow!

The neat thing about the white casein, is that you polish it before sealing it, and it looks just like white translucent marble.

--Flavius Flav 
Hopefully I'll have a chance to post a few progress pics after work today.

--Flavius Flav 
Okay, pics in about two hours.

--Flavius Flav 
The yoke portion is ready for edging! Though I might have a second layer of thin leather inside.   The front and back outer layers still just have the unpolished, unsealed whiting applied.  Next I'll paint in the decoration, before applying final whiting and final sealant.

The stars appear outlined in white, because I embossed their outlines, first.

--Flavius Flav 
Looking very good so far, keep it coming :-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(09-05-2019, 07:18 AM)Crispianus Wrote: Looking very good so far, keep it coming :-)
Thanks, Ivor! I will see what I can get done until Sunday --I have to work on a different project Sunday and Monday, then back to this on Tuesday.

--Flavius Flav 
(09-05-2019, 01:08 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 07:18 AM)Crispianus Wrote: Looking very good so far, keep it coming :-)
Thanks, Ivor!  I will see what I can get done until Sunday --I have to work on a different project Sunday and Monday, then back to this on Tuesday.
You know the only reason I make this stuff is to give some folks in the community fits!  :- )

--Flavius Flav 
Okay, the band of decoration on the back is painted in, with casein and natural mineral pigments. When it is oiled it will be more vibrant, like varnishing a painting, but that will be done at the end when the band at the bottom is done  and when I seal everything.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Flavius Flav 
Back outer layer done.

--Flavius Flav 
Hope to post more progress pics soon. I have to get things cleaned up and organized again, and finish an oil painting, but that will all be done by Saturday. I'll post pics on Sunday or Monday, if anything gets done on it before then, I'll post!

Do have a couple of pics I'll post in about 1.5 hours.

--Flavius Flav 
Was able to start on front; the Gorgon is just started with the outlining.  The blue and other colors get darker and more saturated after the oil & wax sealant, so i make them higher in key.

--Flavius Flav 
May I ask how thick it is? How many layers of leather? Or is it one very thick leather? Sorry for not going through 12 pages, where surely there's answer to my question Big Grin
Damian