Vindonissa Pompei Blade
Tony

what do you use to "remove the stock" ?

Cheers

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Conal I use various types of grinders, with various discs. You need a good grinder with a smooth gear box, the one I use at the moment is a Nutool 1000 watt with 4 1/2 " disc its a cheapy so I will see how long it lasts how ever I also have a Bosch industrial 4 1/2" 110v plus 240v.The 110v is my old trusty shipyard one and has been hammered but still going strong Big Grin D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Greetings Tony!

Do you ever use the large commercial beltgrinders found in machineshops? I have worked with one, though not on blades and they chew metal at an alarming rate. I have been thinking of using a handheld belt sander and have a Powerfile by B&D, very thin beltsander projecting out. As is, I want to hammer out the blade first and then finish it using a stone and a sander, much like the Romans did. The hours quoted in Iron for the Eagles is 2 hours smithing and 20 hours finishing! The thing about modern stones is they are often too small in radius and will leave a hollow grind if one is not carefull, unlike the large stones used in Solingen to grind their blades. I am presuming Romans used larger diameter stones as well, but have no data to support that assumption. Idea's?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Oh, and I would really appreciate tips on how best to fix the pommel to the tang the proper way. So far, this eludes me Sad
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
A ha Robert no problem yes you can use a hand belt sander to flattern off the metal when you have finnished grinding but you need to leave a bit of spare metal along the edge so you can work down to, I feel another helpin hand thread coming here with pics :lol:
Ill Pm you on the handle Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:I feel another helpin hand thread coming here with pics

Yes please Brennivs Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Salve Brennius!

Thanks for the info, looking forward to PM. For me it will be bashing as apposed to grinding, but I get the point. As someone once told me, forge thick, grind thin. That's for beginners, I'm sure, as when working with the spearheads I have found it is quite possible to leave a reasonable flat diamond shape with an almost sharp edge. I use a somewhat lighter, flat headed hammer to do the finishing of the edge, heating it to a dull orange to maintain more control as the metal doesn't move as fast when hit. It is a good way of correcting dents from a less then solid whack.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert thats it, even if you forge a blade the finishing is down to the grind smith. The skill in forging is to hammer down to a tollerence that cuts down the time taking to grind. I just wished I had photo of a wrought iron knife I did as I still have a rough forged blade to show the difference Sad
I have a short film on Pattern Welding done by my late friend which he did for the BBC we also have the full I think 120 hours on 8mm film it is excellent, he did it at Reading University Museum, I think David Sim was there also. We hope one day to put the film on disc.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs