Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new tent question
Quote:if you want to sleep more authentically it is probably best to sleep out on the ground. I have done it in rain, snow, and temperatures well below freezing.
Don't just leave it there! Do tell more!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I slept in temperatures that dropped occasionally to subzero in my yard in a hole wearing just a soviet summer tunic and torusers and a blanket.

I sleep in the rain all the time as a member of a civil war group.

more later
aka., John Shook
John Shook wrote:

Quote:ever noticed that both the extant examples of the large papillio everyone is in love with were found in a garrison environment?

Hi John

That might be true. However until these examples were found and that in archaeological terms was only fairly recently our only knowledge of Roman army tents prior to this was on Trajan's column showing the Dacian campaigns. Another example possibly is Masada where tents appear to have been raised on small stone foundations, again a campaign scenario. There are probably also accounts in Roman literature but unless anyone on this Forum knows for certain I would have to check that for you. Whatever Marius' reforms may have done to lighten the soldier's load the account of the Varus campaign in Germany still mentions a baggage train which needed a path clearing through the forest for.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I slept in temperatures that dropped occasionally to subzero in my yard in a hole wearing just a soviet summer tunic and torusers and a blanket.
That must have been some argument you had....

:wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi

References to tents can be found in
Polybius 6.27-34
Josephus BJ 3.76-84 esp., 79, 82 and 89.
Vegetius 2.7

Considering hand stitched leather tents are practically air tight and C. van Driel Murray argues against any rear tent opening sleeping out in the open is not a bad option :lol:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
masada, dacian campaigns etc. all inclde some form of prolonged siege, plenty of time to bring up tents. just because troops had tents at petersburg in the civil war does that mean they had them at gettysburg? no, it doesnt, and 99% wouldnt have had them.
aka., John Shook