Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My subarmalis
Quote:Felt. No need to fold the edges under. Might just be a good choice. Make sure it's colorfast before you do it, though
Thanks, Demetrius. That's good thinking, I will Smile

Quote:Hey Theo...might I suggest glue instead? Unless you plan on hiding the seems..machine stitching just looks...well, bad.
Wow, great idea, Magnus. Big Grin Months ago I already backed my pteryges with felt using some spray-on glue. Now I can face them with fabric and glue on the felt edging.

May I ask what kind of glue you used or recommend, Magnus ?

~Theo
Jaime
Well, I used hot glue from a glue gun...but folded the seams over so you'd never know.

Legion: TBD
Avete,

Inspired by Marcus' brilliant technique I've come up with what I believe to be a simplified method of making multi-layered fabric pteruges. Here's a sample of how the new pteruges will look. Notice the raised edges - only a single layer of felt was required to achieve this effect. And no stitches are visible.

I need to finish the pteruges by Thursday so I'll post the construction details and photos here next week. So far I'm satisfied with the appearance and am very grateful to Jef who helped make it possible.

Quote:Well, I used hot glue from a glue gun...but folded the seams over so you'd never know.
That's great for hiding the stitches. I find super glue to be stronger and more resilient.

~Theo
Jaime
Looks great, Theo!

I'm glad you found it useful. I'm planning to make a few more sets of pteryges over the following months.

I plan to make sets that have a felt or linen core and a layer of linen on the front and backside. This front and back cover will have a different colour. The pteryges will be laced onto the subarmalis like the others I made. This way I'll only have to make two sets and have four different colour combinations.

For example I will make a set with black or dark brown borders and a red body on one side and a green body on the back side. I will then be able to just flip them over, depending on the colour combinations I prefer for my different impressions Big Grin

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
That looks sharp too Theo.

Jef, your new pteryges sound ambitious, but should look pretty cool when done.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Jef, your new pteryges sound ambitious, but should look pretty cool when done.

Hi Matt,

They should be easier to do than the other ones I did. I just have to find the time to do them...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jef,

We all want to see that subarmalis without the maille over it. :lol:

C'mon, throw a dog a bone here Tongue

Thanks,
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Quote:Jef,

We all want to see that subarmalis without the maille over it. :lol:

C'mon, throw a dog a bone here Tongue

Thanks,

Salve frater,

I promise to have a picture taken next event, without the hamata :wink: . It's very simple though and doesn't look like much without the armour over it Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thank you for your comments, Jef and Matt.

I like how they turned out. They look and feel stiff yet they are pliable at the same time. At first, the pteryges fan out when I put them on but I just have to apply pressure and shape them to how I want them to bend.

Magnus,

I take back what I said about super glue. You were right, the hot glue gun is much more cost effective. I went through twenty sticks of glue. Confusedhock:

Jef, you are a fountain of good ideas Big Grin . I'd like to try to make my next set reversable as well but I think I will opt to use leather for the edges instead of felt. The latter tends to fray over time and is harder to manipulate, imo.

I made a word .doc file on the construction process which I can send you if anyone wants to request it in a PM.

Here are my revamped pteryges.
Jaime
WOW. Great stuff here! Your pteruges are simply great.

Here are my pteruges:

http://www.romanhideout.com/legiov/fabr ... es3_it.asp
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Nice stuff, Theo! Big Grin

I would add and extra layer, but it already looks very good!

Thanks for sharing your method too, Luca.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Thank you, Luca.

Yours look really neat.

The way they hang on Fig.22 reminds me of this statue. I like your color scheme too - very appropriate for Praetorians Smile

I don't have a website - otherwise I would post my process online as well.

Quote:I would add and extra layer, but it already looks very good!
I'm hesitant to add more layers (I have four already) because I would have to widen the edge pieces to accomodate the extra thickness.

About making reversable pteryges : you're probably limited to a single color for the edges, right ? At least that would be the case using my method. Yellow would seem to be the most adaptable color for the edges in most color schemes, imo. My choice for one side would be the scheme I have now and probably white for the reverse (both with yellow edges).

~Theo
Jaime
Hi Theo,

Yes, the border colour will be the same for both sides.

I'm going to make a set to be used as a legionary or auxiliary ranker and one to be used in my tribune impression (which is coming along slowly).

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
a step by step procedure of the Theodosius the Great pteryges is hosted here in english:

http://www.romanhideout.com/legiov/fabr ... es5_en.asp
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
I'd like to publicly thank you, Luca, for posting the instructions on your website Smile

Quote:I'm going to make a set to be used as a legionary or auxiliary ranker and one to be used in my tribune impression (which is coming along slowly).

Do you plan to add fringe on to your new sets, Marcus ?

As an alternative to using synthetic gold fringe I think horse hair may be the easiest choice. I'm not sure if horse hair has been suggested before but making your own fringe from fabric or leather seems really tedious.

For my next set I think I will use hair for the fringe.

~Theo
Jaime