Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parthica Legion - Caduceus emblem?
The shield emblem for the Sexta Parthica legion in the Notitia Dignitatum appears (to me at least) to show a caduceus - minus the little wings, but I'm sure you can see what I mean:

Legions IV-VI Parthica are usually presumed to have been raised by Diocletian, as part of his reorganisation of the eastern frontier. The caduceus is the symbol of Hermes/Mercury - is there any connection between Diocletian or the other tetrarchic emperors and Mercury?

Looking though various lists of coin issues, it doesn't seem that the tetrarchs were too interested in Mercury - although there are a couple of images of Felicitas holding the caduceus (like this one, of Maximian).

Hermes/caduceus images do appear very frequently on coins from the mid 3rd century through - particularly Gordian III through to Gallienus.

So - could the legion series IV-VI Parthica have been raised earlier in the century, perhaps by Gordian as part of his preparations for the invasion of Persia in AD243? Or is there some additional evidence for a tetrarchic foundation?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Parthica Legion - Caduceus emblem? - by Nathan Ross - 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aurelius Moucianus (legio II Parthica) jkaler48 6 2,210 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Info. on Legio II Parthica Commilito 13 4,187 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat