Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae
I crossed this topic from elsewhere and I've read many non-historical comments.
I'm Greek... I'm fanatic History freak... and Illustrator (actually, I was the Senior Art Director of "Hegemonia: City-States" mod of "Rome: Total War" game).
I made many times illustrations about the ancient Greek hoplites and ESPECIALLY for my beloved Spartans. I also had a short communication with Professor Paul Cartledge.

(My avatar is a small detail from a paint of mine for a book, "The last Stand of Spartans". You can see a Spartan Olympics' winner - which he had the pride and permission to wearing his victory olive wreath over his helmet; has painted over his shield the "Dokana" Sparta-State's official "flag-symbol", and he was fighting aside the king as bodyguard, the highest tribute for a Spartan! Behind him, a long hair only-beard Spartan with long-high crest helmet is dropping dead after an arrow hit, a dead officer near by him, while a wounded man trying to recover his body)...

In that period of time, during the Persian Wars, the Spartans (actually "Lacedaimonians", not "Spartans", is wrong) they had EXACTLY the look of the most heavier full-plate Greek panoply hoplite you ever crossed. They loved hearing the (terrible for hearing/seeing) Corinthian helmet with long crests (and some times high-crests, attached on poles over the helmet). The wearing heavy "bell-type" cuirass, leg-knee bronze protections, the heavy "Aspis", the "Dory" and the "Xeale" (or "Xiali"), a short version of "Xiphos" (leaf two-edged sword) - mostly attached INSIDE the shield for faster and better draw...
...I made few trips to Laconea (Sparta) to the Spartan Ancient History Museum and to other museums and talked to many people, before to start creating images...

...These nude-like figures, with "Pylos" helmets, without any metal parts and with the famous "Lamda" letter on their shields, ARE VERY LATER look of the Spartan army during the "Athenian War" (according to Spartans), the Peloponnese War during Pericles' era.

Do a research first, before your desire to comment on a historic topic, please.

Messages In This Thread
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Diomed - 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Doc - 07-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Vindex - 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Goce - 07-14-2015, 04:26 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-05-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-07-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Romilos Lfc Fronimides - 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan/Thespian grave in Thermopylae? Giannis K. Hoplite 6 5,182 05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite