Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranks of Ancient Greek/Hellenic Armies?
Macedon, I think we basically agree. I suggest, following Lee, that the taxiarchoi are captains of light infantry [Xen. An. 4.1.28], the junior generals (hypostrategoi) were only present in some contingents, and the junior captains (hypolochagoi) may be the officers of the six picked lochoi who were divided into fifties and twenty-fives in order to manoeuvre more quickly. Earlier writers tend to assume that other lochoi were subdivided like the six picked lochoi who acted as rear guards and reinforcements during the retreat into Armenia (Xen. An. 3.4.19-23) but Lee points out that there is much evidence for lochoi and suskeniai and very little for other lochoi having similar subdivisions.

I think that one has to be careful about using that the mid 4th century Hipparchikos in that way, since by then many Greek militias were imitating Persian and Spartan practices. But I can't prove that the Athenian cavalry were not divided into fives and tens during the Peloponnesian War! Classical military history is an uncertain business ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Ranks of Ancient Greek/Hellenic Armies? - by Sean Manning - 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Armies YouTube video: Could an Infantry Line Wheel? Justin Swanton 5 1,061 05-26-2021, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Syracusan and Greek armies in III B.C. Caturix 7 5,274 08-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: JaM
  Flexibility of various Greek/Hellenic phalanxes. FarDarter 20 8,487 02-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Paralus