Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adoption of the cavalry shield in Hellenisitc heavy cavalry.
Quote:Hhh..mm...mmm, quite persuasive! However I don't believe the last point about motif is convincing - the same 'lion hunt motif' is seen on distinctly Grecian style pieces from Bactria, for example.

The same motif of a horseman lancing a lion is found in Graeco-Bactrian art? Can you post or cite an example?

Quote:Obviously, not for seleucid cataphracts in particular, but since you mention 'saka' , I take it you mean generally?
There are, of course, a number of large lance-heads found in steppe graves which can realistically only be from 'kontoi', e.g. a fourth C BC grave of a Sarmatian woman(!) from Kholodni Yar on the Tjasmin, Ukraine grave no.20 contained two such lance heads with a length of over 60-70 cm; and others such as Siracian grave finds at Ust-Labinskaya, NW Caucasus 4-3 C BC.
I was under the impression that because of the rather 'loose' dating of tomb-finds, the real question was whether the 'kontos' was employed on the steppes before or after Alexander introduced them to the 'xyston'......

Why must large lance heads only be from kontoi? Regular cavalry spears, and spears in general, could have large spearheads without necessarily being long-shafted - this is the same fallacy that led to many scholars assuming that the sarissa must have had a large spearhead. Looking at Sarmatian (or, more accurately, Sauromatian) evidence, what do you make of the Filippovka kurgan 4 burial, dating to the end of the 5th c. BC or beginning of the 4th, which included a shafted weapon with a large spearhead and spearbutt 3.2 m in length? Should this be taken as a kontos? Furthermore, the depiction of the Saka cataphract wielding a spear one-handed overhand I mentioned before shows the spear as having a massive head.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Adoption of the cavalry shield in Hellenisitc heavy cavalry. - by MeinPanzer - 10-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry? Eleatic Guest 17 7,251 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Macedonian cavalry vs infantry Rizzio 12 7,924 01-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  role of cavalry and light-armed forces eugene 4 2,585 03-31-2015, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Bryan