Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot
Is that even a word? Athenian?

Anyway, working on my Hoplite impression, Ive decided I need to narrow it down to specific time and place.

While specific time is more general than anything, I'm going with 5th century BC to 3rd century BC. And I only use that, because of the few books I have, they date things by clumps of 2-3 centuries.

For place, I want to do a hoplite from Athens.

Questions....

is there any data on Grecian names by area? From what Ive collected (again very scarce) it seems most Athens-based names end in "cles" (as opposed to Spartan names that tended to end in "us/as") apparently. Would this be a correct assumption?

Aspis: can it be decorated with personal signal, or need I follow Deepeka's design with the big "A"? (not fond of that design BTW)

Helmets: Corinthian style okay?

Armour: I will make a Linothrax for now and hammer out a muscled curiass as soon as I find armouring/hammering bronze at a decent price (good luck there, I know :roll: ) Anything of special note with Athens-based armour? More-common designs painted on them? Anything like that.

Length of spear... Here Im confused. Ive read so many varying lengths, but none go into which cities used what length.

Anyhow, if anyone can PLEASE offer me advice on good books or other research into Ancient Athens, I would be greatly appreciative. I will use this thread to mark my progress from concept to execution. PLEASE feel free to 'nudge my elbow' if during concept I go off in the wrong direction!!

As it stands, I own "Warfare in the Classic World" and that's it Sad I really enjoy the book, it has lots of info, clearly cut timelines and good illustrations. Please let me know of any others that are good for researching into kit.

Thank you very kindly.
-Jason Banditt Adams
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.Rogue-Artist.com">www.Rogue-Artist.com

Messages In This Thread
Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot - by rogue_artist - 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Re: Athenian Hoplite - by Vincula - 06-18-2008, 09:31 PM
helmet questions - by rogue_artist - 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Athens or Sparta of where? - by rogue_artist - 06-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Spartan Hoplite Impression - by rogue_artist - 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Spartan Hoplite - by Paullus Scipio - 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? richsc 18 13,714 09-28-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 982 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Occurrence of Verdigris and other patinas in the common hoplite panoply. Anatol Wyss 14 3,897 12-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Anatol Wyss