Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology
Quote:Absolutely- The Spartans is phenomenal.

I would add these other PBS documentaries:

Athens- the dawn of democracy

The Minotaur's Island

All presented and written by Bettany Hughes- these are absolutely the most outstanding ancient civilization documentaries I've ever seen- definitely not History Channel junk LOL Each of these, including the Spartans, is available on DVD from PBS actually and I think well worth the cost.

I don't know myself. I think she skips over a lot of things, generalises heavily, and this is aimed at the passing interest group rather than serious student. Bettany Hughes is to blokes what Michael Wood was to the intellectual ladies out there - the thinking man's bit of TV crumpet. I remember when these came out - either on BBC2 or Channel 4 (can't remember which) and yes it was laudable to see this subject getting covered (especially the Spartans) but I did feel let down in the end. The usual myths and mirages are presented without much depth or consideration and of course you get the impression the Spartans only existed from Thermopylai to Leuktra. Still - better than nothing I suppose...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Documentaries - by Paullus Scipio - 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Re: Selected Documentarys About Ancient Greek Warfare&Tech. - by Ghostmojo - 10-20-2009, 10:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Armies YouTube video: Could an Infantry Line Wheel? Justin Swanton 5 1,005 05-26-2021, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Which Ancient Warfare issues would you recommend for an interest in phalangites? mma_calculator 1 2,049 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Ancient coins returned to Greece Justin I 0 1,098 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Justin I