Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warrior Departure Scenes in Attic Red-Figure Pottery
As far as I know, few studies about departing hoplites in Attic red-figure pottery have been made. Therefore, as an undergraduate Classics student with a passion for hoplite warfare and Attic pottery I thought I'd make an analysis of a select number (30+) of vases found in Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum and some other books including F. Lissarrague's entry 'The World of the Warrior' in (ed.) C. Bérard, A City of Images: Iconography and Society in Ancient Greece.

The scenes involving hoplites taking leave of their loved ones before a battle (or military training?) are indeed heartwrenching and highly intriguing. Expressing sadness, distress and love through gestures, the scenes also convey ideals such as the civic duty of the hoplite. I also concur with Lissarrague that a subtle subliminal message can be perceived here; basically, 'Rear more children! They are the future of our polis!'.

The principal aim of the paper is to establish a catalogue of vases with departing hoplites. One of the criteria is that a libation offer is included in them. Using the catalogue as a reference, I look at the way the characters are portrayed, the equipment of the hoplites, and how the scenes are composed.

Interestingly, there's only one vase depicting a hoplite with his full kit in a departure scene. That is to say, Stamnos E448 by the Achilles Painter (The British Museum):

[Image: E448.jpg]

There are two particular vases that have puzzled me:

[Image: 201960.jpg]

This is a Stamnos by the Berlin Painter (1988.40), currently stored in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

Note how the hoplite turns away, shunning the woman! It's like our friend somehow is preoccupied. I get the impression that the woman is saying something like "Darling, don't forget your libation offer...". Smile

[Image: 46942.jpg]

This Pelike, in Museo Nazionale di Villa Giulia in Rome (46942) is a peculiar one. Note the thing lying on the floor (the suspended greaves indicate an indoor setting). The first time I saw it, I started to believe that it was some sort of altar, but lately I figured that it could be his shield. Consequently, this makes me wonder why the woman is pouring the libation over it?

Just wanted to share with you what I'm currently working on. Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Warrior Departure Scenes in Attic Red-Figure Pottery - by Susanne - 02-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Re: Warrior Departure Scenes in Attic Red-Figure Pottery - by Anonymous - 02-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Re: Warrior Departure Scenes in Attic Red-Figure Pottery - by Anonymous - 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Re: - by rocktupac - 06-14-2010, 04:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Scenes Illustration project JP Vieira 20 5,669 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Last Post: JP Vieira
  Armour from an Attic red-figure vase Sean Manning 15 4,673 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer