Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Location of Caesar's decisive battle against Cassivellaunus
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any new archaeological development in the potential location of the battle between Caesar and Cassivellaunus, during Caesar's second invasion of Britain.

I have found the following information, but I can't find any reasoning as to why Wheathampstead is a potential location. I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is a potential, and/or if there has been more work on deciding the location.

Ancient Britain and the invasions of Julius Caesar by Holmes

Many have identified the stronghold with Verulam, or Verulamium, which was situated immediately west of St Albans[...] is likely, but the question is not proven.

Caesar, Intelligence, and Ancient Britain

By the end of July or early August, the Roman troops had cut their way through the forest and marshlands, and now stood in sight of the formidable Celtic hill fort at Wheathampstead.

Folly and Fortune 

From these Britons Caesar learnt the whereabouts of Cassivellaunus’s headquarters, very probably at Wheathampstead, and headed there directly.

Thanks,

Tikeshe.

Messages In This Thread
Location of Caesar's decisive battle against Cassivellaunus - by tikeshe - 01-21-2017, 09:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? Tempestvvv 3 3,714 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Decisive Battles Flavivs Aetivs 28 4,374 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sardaukar
  The Battle of Chalons - Location Flavivs Aetivs 72 13,767 02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs