Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control
Its amazing that you are so blind in reading other people's post that you ignore most of the content from them because there is no way at all you've read and understood anything I've posted and come to the conclusion you just came to.  I've repeatedly said that I actually fought other human beings in real life combat. Not make believe role playing games, not riot training exercises where the clueless teach the clueless, not scuffles with protesters were the worst casualty was someone getting hit by a beer bottle. Actual full spectrum battle, with artillery, air strikes, tracers flying through the air, people getting shot and blown up, bloody ringing ears, and dogs eating dead bodies not being all that unusual to see.  

You made comments about how US Marines trained for combat and where Marine NCOs are positioned, stating outright where NCOs are positioned in combat. I served with the USMC 1997-2001, 0311 Infantry, Pfc-Cpl, to include as a fire team leader. Your experience is training a few Marines as a private contractor in tactics you created where you told them not to lead from the front (which probably had them laughing and saying all sorts of things about your theory behind your back). 

You mentioned riot training, as if you're the only one whose done it in humanity. I've done it too, not only as a Marine (where we really didn't take it seriously because most of the tactics are downright stupid), but also as a National Guardsman (which we also didn't really take it seriously because most of the tactics they teach are downright stupid), in the US Army National Guard, 2002-2005, serving as an 11B Infantry, in the ranks CPL-SGT, serving most of the time as an infantry squad leader.

You mention combat as if you've know what its about but I haven't. And yet I participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom 07-08, 09-10, with the US Army, from 2007-2010, as an 11B Infantry, with the ranks SGT-SSG, serving as a team leader, squad leader, weapons squad leader, sniper section leader, and battalion TOC Battle NCO, where I helped direct battalion combat operations. I earned my Combat Infantryman's Badge many times over. 

Of course my views on modern warfare might be biased, through decades of intensive reading on the subject (to include my office at home being wall to wall military history books), but mainly because I lived it, so it isn't surprising my view is based on real personal experiences. But they are also legitimate, contrary to what you believe, because I saw many of the things we're discussing with my two eyes, heard things with my own two ears, felt them with the nerve endings in my own body, and then analyzed them on the spot and then afterwards during lots of reflection using my own brain. Not from watching videos of other people in combat on the internet.

What blows me away between you an JaM is that you have people who've been heavily involved in Roman history, to include actual contemporary Roman historian/authors who are subject matter experts in this field telling both of you that you are wrong and neither of you will accept that maybe your theories are unsubstantiated or poorly explained or just outright wrong.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control - by Bryan - 11-26-2016, 07:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military Michael Hill 5 2,923 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Roman military tactics in modern riots? Epictetus 15 6,736 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Aagaard
  MODERN DAY ARMY AND ROMAN INFLUENCES Anonymous 12 8,365 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Anonymous