Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control
I am not a Roman scholar but I can give you the opposite perspective on this because I teach crowd management. The answer is, unfortunately for you, that Roman tactics have next to no influence on modern crowd management. We simply don't enough about how the Romans fought to draw any lessons from it. If you look at the threads on here about tactics and the academic articles they link to you will see there is no real consensus on how anything worked below the strategic level.

Modern tactics are based purely on what works and, in countries where it is done well, the tactics are designed by experienced people who have had to deal with a lot of violent disorder.

As for shield design I couldn't tell you what inspires most of the people that design them because most of them are fairly useless. There is only one company that I am aware of who got actual users to help them design their shields and what they came up is very different to any of the Roman shields we know of.
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control - by Densus - 11-21-2016, 11:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military Michael Hill 5 2,926 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Roman military tactics in modern riots? Epictetus 15 6,741 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Aagaard
  MODERN DAY ARMY AND ROMAN INFLUENCES Anonymous 12 8,373 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Anonymous