Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
yeah, funny part is, that if you try to do this in game, let say Rome 2, then you end up with two possibilities - 6 rank or 8 rank formation. 6-rank, wider one is great in defense, as enemy will not surround it that easily as it will with 8-rank formation, but at the other side, 8 rank formation can change directions very easily, which has a huge advantage actually..

In all my mods so far, i always try to simulate base military principles, as far as game allows it. For example in R2, base game allows you just move one unit through another without any issues or penalties - in reality, such a thing would be impossible, and would just disorganize both units making them easy to defeat. One of changes i made was to not allow such thing (by adjusting the entity spacing etc). Anyway, with this limitation, if you want to maneuver your century into best fighting position, and not end up mingling with own nearby units and disorganize them, its very useful to be able to maneuver with the unit fast. And its quite obvious that deep formation can change direction of movement much better than shallow one. Longer the line is, worse it is to turn it somewhere.. (which is why for example Napoleonic infantry always maneuvered within column)

So, my point with all of this is, that i would probably want to have my maniples organized with centuries in column (one behind other) when i'm attacking, but would rather have my centuries next to each other in defense. Longer your line is, more problematic it gets to maneuver on battlefield. If you wanna control your unit best, you would want them in a square/column, as they can still fight, but they can also move more efficiently.

what are your thoughts?
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by JaM - 08-25-2016, 06:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,635 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,695 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis