Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
Jaroslav wrote:
If Velites were formed from proletarii i guess they would only select the young ones, those who would be physically fit for such thing, because while skirmishing doesnt required best physical constitution, it would be definitely a problem for some old farmer who spent most of his life working on the field - throwing javelin effectively kinda requires healthy back, while farming is one area well known for chronic back issues..

And that is what I wrote in posting #25 of this thread: “But what if the Romans allocated an age division for the levy to each property class, with Class I recruiting the oldest men, and Class V the youngest? In this manner, Class V, being the youngest and more fleet of foot but the poorest would be recruited to serve as velites in the army.”

Bryan wrote:
Just so you're aware, the guy you're debating in this thread is the guy who wrote that paper you're referencing. Also, not everyone agrees with that person's works.

Thanks for the jpeg, bloody hard to see and it proves nothing...just someone’s theory lacking in depth detail. My take on the Century Assembly and the Tribal Assembly is when voting the centuries in the tribe vote within the century which consisting of the men from the six property classes. So the 40 men of Class I and the 6 equites if they are in agreement, have a count of 46, with the infra classem having a count of 54. This means, Class I needs five votes from Class II to win. Therefore, Class II holds the balance of power. So in a tribe of 10 centuries of iuniores, if six centuries vote yes and four centuries vote no, that tribe has one yes vote. The rest of the tribes do the same. The Century Assembly takes the six classes in  a century from each tribe and forms them into centuries of the same property class. This means the 40 men of Class I in a century are added together and of the 200 centuries of iuniores this means there are 8,000 men of Class I that have 80 votes. The same for the rest of the classes.  Like what you present, I should put them into a jpeg with pretty arrows and call that proof.

What is it they do not agree with regarding my Telamon paper? I need someone to show me the errors of my way, cause I have a lot of people who agree with my work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by Steven James - 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,635 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,695 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis