Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How really \'different\' were the Romans?
Quote:Razvan,
Same goes for any 2,000 year old culture whether it be Romans or other. The didn't think or act like you because their world, small similarities aside, was unique and alien to our own.

Hmm, again I must say that some people (not just you) seem to see just that empty part of the glass and ignore the filled one, to say like this.
Yes, in many ways they were very different in the way they saw or do some things (and for many of them I can say this is fortunately, especially slavery thing).
But in other ways they were very similar, in fact we (many modern people) take and use quite few things from them. To see this (and how they think sometime similar to us) look at the Roman Law, that influenced more or less pretty much any law system in "western world" (and not just that but other parts of the world too).
Look just to principles like "everybody is equal before the law" or "everybody is innocent until proven guilty", "everyone have the right to defense", "the accuser should provide the burden of proof" etc. etc., these come from the Romans law.
Two of the main things that shaped the European civilization (even today) were Christianity (spread or/and imposed by Romans) and the Roman law.
So I wont be so extreme to say that they were totally alien to us and thats no way to exist any similarities or influences.

Quote:Also plebian doesn't mean poor people. Roman citizens were either patricians (decedents of the original fathers of the city) or plebians (the people, which included everyone else). By the time of Sulla and Caesar the 300-600 man senate was majority plebian. Patrician and plebian do not match rich or poor. They are purely hereditary titles and classifications.

Yes, thank you for clarifications Bryan
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by diegis - 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM