Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How really \'different\' were the Romans?
Quote:I think the views are split, kinda like that question with the glass, is half empty or is half full?
Some seem to see just the empty part. And I agree too that we are very different in many ways.
In the same time is hard to say we're not similar in some ways, or we, the modern ones, werent influenced by them or didnt do some things pretty similar.
Sometime is just the means of doing them that evolved (the technology) but the way we doing them or why we doing them is similar

I eat hunt, eat food, have fought other men in battle, and have sex with women. Does that make me similar to a early homo sapien from the stone age? Sure, why not. They do the same. Therefore in a lot of ways we're the same. Wait a minute, me, a man living in America in the 21st century, the same as a cave man? That can't be true? Right? Wouldn't that be the most generalized comparison ever? Looks look at it in detail.

When I see a herd of deer, I don't run after them and try to run the deer to death before I club it with a branch or stab it will a sharpened rock. I set up in a blind and shoot one. Or I come up with some other efficient hunting method that has evolved over thousands of years. When I eat, I grab my food from my refrigerator that someone else almost always killed and prepared and I heat it up. Often, this food comes from other places in the world, nowhere near where I live. When I fought other men in battle, I didn't need to worship a standard, I didn't seek solace in reading the movements of birds or the entrails of animals, nor did I freak out because it thundered during battle. I used modern weaponry and the most efficient tactics possible, which are designed using scientific methods, such as statistics and the study of history and human behavior and psychology. Screw tradition. I'd sooner frag an officer than charge bare chested at an enemy machine position because he's too clueless to understand modern methods. And when I have sex with women I didn't rape them silly while still covered in the blood of their dead male family members. Prostitution is not only illegal its immoral, exploits oppressed women and is a good way to develop an STD. When I got married I didn't have to deal with dowries and I didn't buy my wife or have to steal her. Because I'm not actually like a cave man. Nor a Roman, because we're different cultures.

Also, the term Patrician really means "Father of the City of Rome" (a much abbreviated definition). Its incorrectly used to mean rich person, at least in the context of the time period you mentioned. As examples, both Sulla and Caesar were of Patrician families and were known to have grown up either outright poor or at least not all that wealthy.

Messages In This Thread
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by Bryan - 07-11-2014, 06:11 PM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM