Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How really \'different\' were the Romans?
The marching and water points are well made - but, as indeed I was chided, there's also a 'context' issue.

The Romans' 20 miles per day (normal) in 5 'summer hours' certainly doesn't seem that bad against more recent knowledge and experience, nor indeed many 'forced march' examples of the past. But not only, as has been noted, was this expected day-after-day (one day a week rest?), but they had to raze the camp of the night before and build a whole new one at the end in addition.

Water consumption has also changed for more than one additional reason, and that one is weight. The 19thC comment is apropos, but it applies equally to the majority of the 20th (certainly from the British perspective that I have most knowledge of). From the invention of the rifle in the late 19th to the end of the Cold War the standard infantry men carried (approx): rifle with 100 rounds (doesn't seem much to movies!); wash kit and spare clothes (complete, incl boots); gas mask and later NBC/CBRN gear; a few additional items; and just one canteen (originally a pint and then a litre) - and that's all. Then we added radios; and then more batteries (and more tech with more batteries); and more ammo for machine guns; and more ammo for us (even when the bullets got lighter; and needed more water, which is more weight - which needs more water - and then we fight in deserts!

Things have changed radically in the last 2 decades - and I recall sitting almost the entire company (First Gulf) in shade in the middle of the day, in their NBC gear - and watching as I forced them to drink water (because they just weren't used to it). Now soldiers carry a water bottle throughout training - and are forced to empty it several times - I know I never did. The weight issue is a massive change - and it's just as well that there are plenty of calories and 'generally' healthier soldiers today. But at least we know why.

Messages In This Thread
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by Mark Hygate - 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM
How really \'different\' were the Romans? - by MD - 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM