Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
Quote:Is there a book or article about the Sarmatians in Britain? Stationed way up in the Derbyshire Dales I'd love to find a connection between their horse breeding expertise and the current Dales pony Confusedmile:

Oh, dear.

Hardly anything I know of. Ammianus tells us about the 5,500 Iazyges sent into the north, but they were Sauromatae, the link between the Scythians and Sarmatians. I imagine the Dales pony could very well stem from them.

We now know that the Sarmatians had two types of horse, a smaller (probably pony-like) breed and a larger breed used for warfare. The Pazyryk (Altai) steeds were built similar to the modern Akhal Teke. Emperor Hadrian's prized horse was given to him by a Roxolani chieftain. And I believe the Andelusian extends from the Alans. All of this confutes what was written only a few years ago, but it shouldn't come as a surprise... considering a majpr occupation of the Saka/Sarmatians was horse breeding. :whistle:

If Britain has a Sarmatian influence within its breeds, I would think they may have arrived c.396 with the 5 cavalry units mentioned in the Notitia Dignitatum. Perhaps they came from the Equites Taifali Iuniores, Equites Taifali Seniores, or the Equites Cataphactarii which went to Morbium in the north.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Alanus - 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM