Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Falx vs. Roman Helmets & Armor
Quote:
Um no. Imagine a warrior in his teens. By the time anyone in these cultures entered their thirties they would be reaching the end of their ability to perform these kinds of physical chores. And this is completely irrelevant since plenty of Roman troops had similar backgrounds and were just as physically capable.
What? :lol: Do you think that armies was made up just by teenagers of 17-18 years old? Sure, some of those probably was joining the army too, but peoples in 30's was by no means a rarity, or unable to fight anymore :roll: . In fact if we look at the images of Dacian warriors from the Column or Adamclisi, or the statues of them in Italy, they are prety much all rather mature peoples, wearing beards and so on.
As someone pointed out above, at greeks 40 years old was considered an ideal soldiers, both experienced and still able to fight quite very well, and roman legionars was enlisted up to 40-45 years too

Quote: I'd like to see anything indicating that a Dacian solider is any more prepared to die than a Celtic, Germanic, or even a Roman one. This nationalistic chestbeating does nothing to advance this type of discussion.
I am sorry, the only one to bring in discussion comparations betwen Dacians, Celts, Germanic and "even Romans" how you said (put them somehow lower in the list) is just you. I didnt mention any of them, nor compared them with Dacians (even if i can show quotes from Herodotus to Julian the Apostate or even Vegetius who specificaly point out Getae/Dacians in such circumstances related with war, death and imortality).
What i want to show was that beside the weapon/sword it was the warrior too, and his qualities, it was not just the sword who was some kind of magical weapon who work by itself.

Quote: If a Dacian tried a strike like this he would be gutted like a pig before he finished the upswing.
:roll: Do you really think that a fight occur like that? That a Dacian will come in front of a Roman, at a Gladius striking distance, and just after that, still imobile, will start rising his sword for a hit?

More probably is that the Dacian will already have the arms in position, armed and ready to release the strike (helped by the longer sword he had, compared with Gladius) before the roman sword might reach him.
Why do you think Romans reinforced their helmets if they was able to gut the Dacians even before they rise their swords? Why do you think Romans are depicted wearing arms/manica protecting armour (and legs protection too) on the arm wearing the Gladius?
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dacian Falx vs. Roman Helmets & Armor - by diegis - 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armor and helmets of roman commanders Corvus 1 1,274 09-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Question on early Roman helmets and armor Paullus 2 1,184 10-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Paullus
  Roman Auxilliaries in Dacian Wars.... Anonymous 23 5,603 04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Anonymous