Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
You might need to try a different hoplological lexicon. "Scimitar" is an English corruption of the Persian shamshir. Shamshirs are sabres with the edge on the outside like all sabres. I didn't mention the yatagan because it isn't a scimitar. The yataghan is a lot like a rhomphia in function. It doesn't have much in common with a falx. The closest resemblance to the Dacian falx is a sickle or scythe - both farming tools. The only weapon I can think of that even remotely resembles the falx is the African shotel.

Quote:1. It is more likely that the falx evolved from a tool but by the time of Dacian wars it was a weapon.
How do you define weapon?
There is nothing to suggest that a member of the warrior class ever used the falx in battle
There is no precedent for this typology ever being used by a warrior class of other cultures - just peasants grabbing whatever farm tools (i.e. scythes) were nearby.
There is plenty of evidence for this typology being used as a farming implement all over the world. Whenever a sickle-blade gets modified for the battlefield it invariably gets straightened so that the curve is not so pronounced.
Those who actually handle swords will tell you that it is not a practical design. It handles awkwardly; is no better at cutting than a real sword; parries are difficult; cannot be sheathed and transported easily; cannot be used in formation.
Go back to Paul's original post. The so-called "Dacian falx" was a farming tool. It can be called a weapon only in so far that it was sometimes used for fighting but that doesn't change its primary agricultural purpose.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by Dan Howard - 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,184 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,879 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,931 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius