Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:
Dan Howard:3a6us872 Wrote:I'm having trouble seeing how any of this is relevant to the falx?

I've seen nothing to suggest that the falx was specifically designed to be used in battle.
I've seen nothing to suggest that it was a better cutter than a dozen other blades in use at the time.
I've seen nothing to suggest that falxmen played a prominent role in any Dacian victory against the Romans.

Presuming the falx handle is as long as the blade, it could be used in a fashion not dissimilar to a bill, which would make it extremely effective against Romans.
What's your evidence for a two-handed falx as tall as the wielder or taller? Most of the ones posted in this thread appear 3-5 feet long, half the length of a bill or halberd. Against Romans with pila or gladii and shields, that's not a huge reach advantage, and the Romans will be trying to close the distance. And if you want to mainly use the falx to prod at a distance, why not just use a big spear?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by Sean Manning - 10-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,197 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,893 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,987 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius