Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:The actual location tought to be the ancient Tapae is not an open space, is a narrow one.
I don't see any problem for a population to fight in it's own techinques. Or to learn new ones from the Romans.

So I think Dacians were quite tough.....................miners :mrgreen: (the French team at Ro?ia Montan? - GOLD MINE - found evidences that the mines were in use before Romans came in Dacia. And I believe them - was there, saw some material) So the Romans must have known about the quantity of gold present in Dacia

Quite right on both counts, Nina! Tapae was the site of several battles precisely because it was a 'bottleneck' - a pass through the mountains. Its physical size precludes any 'large battle', let alone deployment of the "biggest army ever used against a foreign enemy" ( which seems to have been divided into several different invasion forces coming from different directions, not just all invading via Tapae/Iron gates.)

It is also surmised that 'Dacian gold' was one of the prime motivations for Trajan's invasion - certainly the Gold and other minerals from the new Roman province provided a "shot in the arm" to the Roman economy for many years.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by Paullus Scipio - 10-21-2010, 01:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,213 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,926 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 18,059 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius