Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield
Quote:A double grip shield having a boss is only a problem if you assume that a boss cannot serve a purpose other than protecting a grip hand.

Not at all, as I noted there are many bossed shields in the greek tradition, for which the boss did not conceal the hand. The problem here for me is that this shield appears to be in a tradition of near eastern shields noted by Stephan, all of which show a boss in the exact same position and are obviously held in a single grip. This shield could be outside of the tradition, or a double-gripped extension of the earlier type, but I would not bet on that based on the evidence I have seen so far. One thing that would help indicate use is are the actual bosses domed or flat?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield - by PMBardunias - 08-22-2010, 05:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 992 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek Hoplite Spear Connor Augustus 1 2,191 04-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 2,340 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr