Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Backwards" Phrygian helmet?
Does anyone know of comparanda for a Phrygian-style helmet with the tip pointing to the rear (or with the neckguard in front! :wink: ), such as this? I suspect this one is a forgery (courtesy of Ebay), but I was wondering about other examples...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Greetings,
I just read the write up....it claims the dome faces forward...maybe its supposed to be an eye shield... :? ?
I suppose there were individuals back in those days too...who had to be different... :lol: :lol:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
looks like a nasal. there are lots of pictures of Phrygian hats but no physical eveidence for them. mainly anglo saxon etc
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:Does anyone know of comparanda for a Phrygian-style helmet with the tip pointing to the rear (or with the neckguard in front! :wink: ), such as this? I suspect this one is a forgery (courtesy of Ebay), but I was wondering about other examples...

Why would it be a forgery? I recall this from reconstruction dawings by Angus McBride. I doubt the 'neck guard' is a neck guard, the helmet needs to be tilted backwards, I think.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
this is on eBay again....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:looks like a nasal. there are lots of pictures of Phrygian hats but no physical eveidence for them. mainly anglo saxon etc

We're talking about Phrygian helmets, though, Chuck, for which there is plenty of physical evidence. I got caught out, previously, assuming that a helmet which combined features of the Phrygian and Boeotian styles was a fake. There seem to have been many variations. This one, indeed, looks like it has the front brim of a Boeotian combined with the side and rear features of a Phrygian. It does look as if it would be awkward to wear, though.

I can see why you say it looks like a nasal, but I think, if you look closer, it appears that the part continues around to the rear of the picture, rather than being a narrow strip.
The reason of the phrygic-thracian helmet appearance was that it was resting probably on the up-pointing phrygic-thracian cap which in turn was was "encasing" the phrygic-thracian knot. A hair style like the samurai knot.
I belive if the staff is origian must have been heavily tampered with people who did not know what they were doing.
Its shape with the "nassal" look like a very later "siculo-norman" :lol:
Kind regards
Really starnge!That certainly not a nasal(unfortunately because it would solve the problem) If you see there are holes just to the right for the cheek pieces.And as Paul said it seem that part continues around.I liked what Christina said "I suppose there were individuals back in those days too...who had to be different..." :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Evidence of smurfs no doubt.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Maybe the armorer was drunk!.... or perhaps a begginer that didnt knew how the direction of the top was!, also look unfinished, perhaps when his master saw that, he left it like that! :lol:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \'Phrygian\' helmet immortal 36 10,214 03-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Nearco
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,709 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Phrygian cap under helmet? Giannis K. Hoplite 19 6,361 08-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Servio Caro (Javier Sánc