Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another New Scissor relief
Do we have evidence for this kind of cuirras used by gladiators at all? I only know of the breastplate of the provocator, but that's definitely not a muscle cuirras. Also the cruppelarius wears a kind of segmental armour, but I think the scissor would just wear a hamata, no muscle cuirras over it. If they would use that at all, it would be directly, without something underneath, I would say.
ALA I BATAVORUM
There is no pictorial evidence of a gladiator wearing Musculata.
The Scissor is either depicted wearing a thigh length squamata or something that might be a hamata.
There is one depiction were he might be wearing a padded gambeson like armor while fighting a retiarius.

When fighting another Scissor/Arbales he seems to be fighting only in tunic.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Quote:It may be just a point of trivia, but has anyone noticed how the Scissor's weapon closely resembles the Army's standard issue turf cutter?
There is also a leatherworking knife that's about the same shape, and a chef's knife that has a curved blade like that. It would slice whatever it hit, but I don't think (as some say) it would be useful for cutting out of a net. Cords are pretty resistant to blades. The hooked side probably had an edge on it, too. It could disembowel a man pretty quick, and the retarius was very light on armor of any kind except for the manica and shoulder. Against a neck or throat, well, it wouldn't be a career enhancing move. Confusedhock: :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relief of a scissor Uwe Bahr 15 5,853 04-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Aurelianus
  Scissor relief Martin Moser 2 2,412 02-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Conal