Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wicks for the Lamps
I've been looking around for alternatives to the cotton wick for Roman oil lamps and have found no natural substitutes that the Romans would have had access to. I know that there is a possibility that they had access to cotton near the later Empire, but are there any thoughts on what they would have used in the Republic and Early Empire?
Salvatore Caretti, Legio IX Hispana
Twist some unwaxed flax or linen thread together to the size and thickness you want, wet it with a bit of vegetable oil almost anything will work, and insert it into the lamp, you may also use a piece of hemp string it should work.... nothing man made only natural undyed fibre...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
In the Orkneys they used twisted strips of dried moss
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(09-26-2017, 09:53 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: In the Orkneys they used twisted strips of dried moss

Its possible "candle grass" (Juncus effusus) would also work but I've only ever used it for candle wicks, plenty of moss out the back of my house usually use it dried for stuffing the toes of shoes..
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867