Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New movies about roman era comming soon
Okay, that armor is laughable :lol: At least the picture posted by Alanus has a gladius that might pass for a stage show. Looks like those cheap gladii on ebay for $50 dollars. The one you posted has a sword that looks like it was SUPPOSTED to be an officer's sword... but looks nothing like a parazonium or gladius.
Regards, Jason
Quote:Can I buy that armour from an Indian Company?

You could probably knock it up yourself with a sewing machine Wink

But that picture of Brando that John posted demonstrates that Clooney's armour is in fact entirely authentic... as a portrayal of an actor in a 50s sword and sandal movie (which is what he's supposed to be!).

Interesting that Hollywood gets this so right, when portraying the real thing is apparently so difficult... :grin:
Nathan Ross
Hi Nathan.

My thoughts exactly. As you say Clooney's costume is a pretty authentic replica of MGM's 1950'S Roman armour

In a few cases the actual costumes survive. They will also have copies of designs and sketches and of course photos from the films as well as the movies themselves to research from. Publicity for films always state how accurate they are and how much research as been done. and how authentic everything is. The biggest fear is that they will make a documentary and so no one will go and see it. Reviews on sites like the IMDB always state that a poor story and script are a bigger turn off, not that the Roman armour is authentic or the facts correct. Nevertheless that message never seems to filter through.

I have also heard of another new historical movie production in progress and have been in contact with someone connected with the film. I have practically begged to act as costume advisor but have not had any response.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I have practically begged to act as costume advisor but have not had any response.

That would make a difference! Could you give as a clue about that production? Setting, time period or something?
Eduardo Vázquez
Leather is much cheaper than metal segmentata. Also lighter and easier to maintain in all kinds of weather.
Julia Cassia
aka Julie Brooks
La Wren\'s Nest
Also, I think that some of the actors would protest having to wear a 20 pound Lorica Segmentata. Metal is more expensive than leather and for some reason Hollywood has just fallen in love with it. They don't really care about authenticity. Most people who go to the theaters do not know much history and do not know it is wrong either. Only reenactors and people who research know that the Roman legionaries never wore leather segmentatas, or musculatas. If there was a good recent Roman movie, I would give my vote to The Eagle. They wore leather, but in the opening seen, they did have a great testudo.
Regards, Jason
Could you give as a clue about that production?

It is set in the first century AD.

I think that some of the actors would protest having to wear a 20 pound Lorica Segmentata.
Leather is much cheaper than metal segmentata.

This is not an issue as light synthetic 'armour' painted to look like metal is widely used now.

When leather musculata first appeared in films it was still generally accepted at the time that, that was what was used. You can still see leather armour in contemporary reference works up to the 1970's.

Only reenactors and people who research know that the Roman legionaries never wore leather segmentatas, or musculatas.

This is not true. Some Italian re-enactors and researchers believe leather was widely used.

Hollywood generally gets a bad press but I am sure we have all seen re-enactment gear which is equally bad. We also forget that Films get a wider audience than re-enactors and probably make a longer impression on the public. Look how many re-enactment events are accompanied by film music on loudspeakers, instantly recognised as 'Roman' music and yet no more authentic than the film costumes!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham said-

This is not true. Some Italian re-enactors and researchers believe leather was widely used

Sorry, I forgot about the Italian reenactors. The debate of Romans using leather armor is extensive. Though many Italian re-enactors also use metal armor too.
Regards, Jason
Quote:Does any one knows news about new movies about roman era/ ancient times which one comming soon in 2015 ?
I know one released title from this year: Decline of an Empire but this is very poor story about Constantine.

I'D FOUND THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5PVKW8E3k
Ladys and gentelmen...
Please solely on statements about upcoming films or stablish yourself any the separate topic!!!
Hail Caesar Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMqeoW3XRa0

Looks Fun, the 1950s movie industry revealed....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Enjoy it for what it is.

Hollywood Epics.

Fond memories for this old man. Go on about the uniforms-but Hollywood knew how to musically score that Roman moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSV81X-gQI
-Rod Dickson
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, :-( I don't like the look of this film at all, but it is a film with Romans so.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVkXeGP03oo
David Webb
Joseph Fiennes is very easy on the eye but it is yet another Roman chase movie like Centurion. From a slightly different perspective, admittedly, but a chase nonetheless.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Interesting. I'll watch it.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst Roman movies Gaius Decius Aquilius 26 5,511 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  New Roman/Greek movies Anonymous 22 4,370 08-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Los456