Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
A short introduction of myself: My name is William, I'm 20 years old and I'm studying Humanities. I'm from Utinum (Udine), a small city in the Regio X Venetia et Histria (more or less modern "Friuli - Venezia Giulia" in Italy), around 40 km from the well know roman city Aquileia. I'm interested in History and reenactment. I've been reading this forum for a few years but just now I've decided to register myself here. So well, if you some more questions just ask them.

P.s. Do you happen to know if there was any Legion in Aquileia or in generale in the Regio X around the Traian period?

Thanks!
Hi and welcome
well answer is short between Augustus and Septimius Severus no legion was stationed in Italy (besides Rome with the Pretorians and s.o)
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thanks! That is what i though too. Any legions in some near provincies? I know there were some in Lubjiana but they all seems to have been there just for a few month.
mandi ce mut? Ancja io osoi di Aquileja Smile Non c´era legione stanzionata ad Aquieia durante il principato. Non solo ad Aquileia ma ne anche in Italia, ad eccezione dei pretoriani di Roma.
Massimiliano Fedel
Classical Archaeology, Roman military Archaeology, Roman provincial Archaeology, Archaeology of Aquileia
Hi Massimiliano! I write in English so all can understand. I'm fine thanks.
You got some PM.
I may be wrong but is Aquileia not at the very top of the Adriatic sea and on the northern side of the Rubicon and therefore could well have had troops stationed there.

PS. Welcom to RAT and it is good to know you write in English for indeed my Italian is not so good
, but then with all my Italian Amici they speak Engilsh therefore it makes me lazy learn however I do try when I visit them and even at Friuli.
Brian Stobbs
During the imperial period it was in the regio x of the Italian provincia, so I guess there was no military there unless maybe vigiles and praetoriani. But I'm not sure about that.
This is indeed an interesting point for Aquileia was the major stopping point leaving or entering Italia / Roma so there may have been such regiments, but was not Caesar there before he decided to come on into Roma with his armies.
Brian Stobbs
Aetius used it to defend the Italy in 452. He couldn't blockade the Julian Alps so he stationed a big garrison and Attila had to attack the city or risk being cut off from the rear and out maneuvered. It almost worked and forced Attila to retreat, but Attila eventually won the siege.

But this isn't Early Imperial, and I have no idea what troops were stationed there before. Although one shouldn't underestimate Vigilies.
Quote:This is indeed an interesting point for Aquileia was the major stopping point leaving or entering Italia / Roma so there may have been such regiments, but was not Caesar there before he decided to come on into Roma with his armies.

I guess the Legio XIII Gemina has been stationed in Aquileia for a while, the via gemina connecting Aquileia to Emona was build by this legioni.
Quote:Aetius used it to defend the Italy in 452. He couldn't blockade the Julian Alps so he stationed a big garrison and Attila had to attack the city or risk being cut off from the rear and out maneuvered. It almost worked and forced Attila to retreat, but Attila eventually won the siege.

But this isn't Early Imperial, and I have no idea what troops were stationed there before. Although one shouldn't underestimate Vigilies.

There is a legend here. Udine has a castle on an hill, they say that Attila build it to see Aquileia burning. Obviously that hill was made by glaciers thousend of years ago.

Almost forgot, probably yes, there were vigiles in Aquileia. I have to search some informations about them. I really would like to reenact someone that could have lived in the past in my region.
There was also the city of Altino not so far from Aquileia that I have also been to but did this become abandoned I believe in the time period of Attila and was it not the founation of the later Venazia.
Brian Stobbs
I don't know about during Trajan's time, but later, under Marcus Aurelius, Aquileia was very important during the Marcomannic Wars. It was the main gateway from Italy up to the troubled area, and the city was itself reached by the Quadi and Marcomanni. Apparently in the winter of 168-169 it was a winter quarters for some of the troops.

According to Anthony Birley's biography of Marcus "detachments of the new Second and Third legions" were sent to a port south of Aquileia "to maintain an alternate sea-link with Italy." This is simply speculation on my part, but perhaps Aquileia had elements from the same legions stationed there.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I don't know about during Trajan's time, but later, under Marcus Aurelius, Aquileia was very important during the Marcomannic Wars. It was the main gateway from Italy up to the troubled area, and the city was itself reached by the Quadi and Marcomanni. Apparently in the winter of 168-169 it was a winter quarters for some of the troops.

According to Anthony Birley's biography of Marcus "detachments of the new Second and Third legions" were sent to a port south of Aquileia "to maintain an alternate sea-link with Italy." This is simply speculation on my part, but perhaps Aquileia had elements from the same legions stationed there.

The origin of the Classis Ravennensis maybe? The fleet was stationed at Aquileia.
Quote:There was also the city of Altino not so far from Aquileia that I have also been to but did this become abandoned I believe in the time period of Attila and was it not the founation of the later Venazia.

Notable the small city of Grado, at first a roman port and castrum, but after the distruction of Aquileia one the major "sea cities" together with Venice.