Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With My First Kit.
Ok - I am begining finally to assemble my first kit and am looking for advice on the best suppliers. My aim to recreate a legionary of the mid-fourth century period. I want to go for basics first and build up gradually.

So, my first question I suppose is boots. What are the best boots for this period and which supplier would you all recommend? With years of hill-walking and hiking experience, the value of a good pair of boots cannot be overestimated! And as I want to do as much re-enactment as I can then a really solid pair seems to me to be a priority!

Any help or advice here would be appreciated!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Hi, and welcome!

My main pair as an auxiliary are these https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...cts_id=415 . I've added hobnails, and internal sole, and have walked over Hadrian's Wall in them- longest walk in one day 22 miles. I have a pair of caligae that were made for me by the unit to fit my foot- again they have lasted well.

Not sure where you are based, but ask Ade at Armamentaria his advice- he is very helpful and knowledgeable. And always buy quality authentic kit - where I bought cheaper, it always cost me more in the end.

Cheers

Paul
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I was taught to obtain my gear in the following order:

1. Tunica (In your case probably braccae as well)
2. Caligae (In your case boots)
3. Balteus (In your case a Clipaeus)
4. Cloak
5. Subarmalis (It's usually cheaper to make your own.)

After that would be a shield/Metal Armor and Weapons.

Armamentaria carries boots but I think they're 3rd century.

Medievaldesign has a whole 4th/5th century soft kit you can buy all at once. I think you can buy it 1 piece at a time. They have really high-quality stuff.
Thanks Caballo and MMFA - I am based up in Glasgow which is a little too far north for most re-enactment groups. I have recently joined Comitatus though with the aim to build up a little basic kit before heading south of the Wall for my first meet with them in the New Year.

The boots you have pointed out to me are a little too early, I feel. I am really looking at mid-fourth century: one of the legionaries under Julian at Argentoratum, for example.

My aim is to assemble: boots, tunica, forca, sagum cloak, and bracae in that rough order. Something on which to hang to rest of the military kit!

I will contact Ade and see what he recommends. Thanks for the advice there!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Here's a link to medievaldesign. Pricey, but I've heard it to be real high quality.

http://www.medievaldesign.com/eng-prodot..._chiave=33

Their 4th Century Outfit is from the Piazza Armeniera Mosaics. I want their tunic Tongue

I'm sure Adrian can provide plenty for you. I've contemplated buying an Intercisa-II Helmet from him.
Thanks, MMFA - that is a useful site. I already have a helmet, though. It is the soft kit I am building up.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Ah okay. Have you got a subarmalis? I would reccomend making your own but there's a few sites that sell them too. SOTW is the only one I know of but I'm sure there are more.
Yes, that will be on my list eventually! At the moment, though, I am concentrating in the base or soft kit - that is, what a legionary is wearing before all the armour and associated kit is put on. Once I have that, I will then build up weapons and armour. This is a long term project so I want to take it slowly and get things right!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Which reminds me, I posted the helmet you bought on eBay yesterday, should be with you Wednesday at the latest, you'll need to sign for it. The cheek pieces and neck guard are separate so don't chuck them out with the packaging.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
I like the link to medievaldesign, thanks, did not know they were around! Stuff looks very well done. They also have the Zwammerdam eyelet boot, but that would be too early for you. However, there are three shoes from Deurne that would probably fit your needs. These are described in Stepping through Time, page 371, and contains enough info for a cutting pattern.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Which reminds me, I posted the helmet you bought on eBay yesterday, should be with you Wednesday at the latest, you'll need to sign for it. The cheek pieces and neck guard are separate so don't chuck them out with the packaging.

Thanks! I will try not to. I am looking forward to receiving it although my partner will promptly wrap it up in Xmas paper and hide it!

Quote:I like the link to medievaldesign, thanks, did not know they were around! Stuff looks very well done. They also have the Zwammerdam eyelet boot, but that would be too early for you. However, there are three shoes from Deurne that would probably fit your needs. These are described in Stepping through Time, page 371, and contains enough info for a cutting pattern.

I will look into that!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:They also have the Zwammerdam eyelet boot, but that would be too early for you. However, there are three shoes from Deurne that would probably fit your needs. These are described in Stepping through Time, page 371, and contains enough info for a cutting pattern.
The Deurne shoes are cavalry, and (I have one pair myself) perhaps not so good for an outfit you want to use for years: shoes were much easier to replace back then. The Zwammerdam boot is indeed 3rd c., but late Roman art also shows closed boots like these for a later period.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Also, I always thought subarmalis counted as part of the soft kit. Sorry SBH.
No need to apologise but using 'SBH' is inappropriate here, I would have thought, as no one knows what it means!

By soft kit I simply mean undress kit: what a miles would wear before arming up or on duty. I doubt he wore the subarmalis while off-duty or drinking with a friend!

Robert, thanks for the imput there. I will see about getting a closed boot in the Zwammerdam style perhaps. I have recently purchased 'Late Roman Painting' and will study it to see what examples of foot-wear are shown. I also now have 'Roman Military Dress' by Graham Sumner, which will help enormously - as will the 2 Osprey titles on Roman military clothing.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I always theorized that a subarmalis was worn at most times when on-duty but outside of actual combat, and metal armor was reserved only for combat.