Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waddon Hill Dorset
Hi all.
Since my post..."Waddon Hill" in Roman Military History and Archaeology....I have acquired the latest report by Mr G Webster.
The report covers the excavation period from 1963-69.
I was totally blown away by the lists of finds from this site. Of these the juiciest items were.....shield bosses, complete and partial Gladius and sheath, tent pegs and numerous Seggy fittings and belt plates, daggers and parts of Pugions.........to name a few. Most of these items I never knew existed. Soooooo......where are all these pieces hiding?
Great read for one of the many smaller, but very important forts of its time due to its location near the Durotriges/Dumnoni border.
Kevin.
Kevin
Quote: I was totally blown away by the lists of finds from this site. Of these the juiciest items were.....shield bosses, complete and partial Gladius and sheath, tent pegs and numerous Seggy fittings and belt plates, daggers and parts of Pugions.........to name a few. Most of these items I never knew existed. Soooooo......where are all these pieces hiding?
Well all of the lorica seg fittings are in Mike Thomas' catalogue of the same, whilst I'm pretty sure all the cavalry stuff made it into my cavalry article. In fact, the Waddon reports were one of the first things I acquired back in the 1970s, when I started collecting information about 1st-century equipment.

Where are they all hiding? Presumably in the county museum in Dorchester.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I hope you are right Mr Bishop as I could incorporate that into a visit to the Tank Museum as well.
I will keep my eyes on that..... And Tiger 131 at Bovy.......sorry, straying.
Kevin
Kevin
As we're moving all the way from Poole to near Dorchester I'm spending a lot of time wandering past the County Museum. Would you like me to pop in and ask if the curator knows?

Ah, the Tiger. Wonderful!
By all means ask Simon, who knows, some of the kit may even be in Bridport Museum.
Kevin
Kevin
Very little of it is on display in Dorchester museum. Last time I went in, they had a set of bone or ivory hilt fittings on display, which they'd assembled the wrong way round (since corrected after I had a gentle word), a pugio, buckle and brooch from Waddon, couple of bits from other local sites but not much else.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I've just found this board, hence the delay in replying. Yes, much of the collection is at Bridport Museum, but only a small proportion is actually on display. Have a look at the website for more information.
http://www.bridportmuseum.co.uk/

The good news is that the museum is bidding for funds to revamp the museum and we want to make more of all the collections; my particular interest, as a volunteer, is in the Waddon Hill collection.

best wishes
I have a photo of a Pugio scabbard from Bridport museum when I was there, but the description I pictured has no place find on it but if I remember I think it was Wadden Hill. Nice museum the volunteers were very helpful. Also was at Dorchester museum very nice also a bronze handled sword and various pieces. Will post pugio scabbard when I can.
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)