Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEVA 2012
As usual, a great event. Thanks so much to Paul Harston and everyone in Deva Victrix for a wonderful effort. Great to meet so many people too.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hi

It seems I have found out how to post pictures after all! So here goes!

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
More from Chester!

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
And a few more.

Graham.

Byron wrote: WhIch group were you with pitor?

He is just behind you in the white sagum Byron!!! :wink: Big Grin

Parthian Bow wrote : As usual, a great event. Thanks so much to Paul Harston and everyone in Deva Victrix for a wonderful effort. Great to meet so many people too.

Thanks for helping to make a great night out too! A band of authors!

Graham.

Hi all
Nice pics Graham, thank you for posting them. Plenty of II AVG i see.
Kevin
Kevin
Piotr,

It's a good while since I posted but after such an event I thought it wortwhile. I'm glad you enjoyed the march Piotr Big Grin , but I'm not sure you were at the same event es everyone else following the negative comments.

IMHO the the majority of kit was excellent. The poor kit was in the minority.

Comments on medieval mail Mordor/LARP - The only group that fitted this description (from my recollection) was Brittannia, but as they are late Romans this is correct.

I only saw 1 muscle cuirass.

Subarmalis - all Deva Victrux wore cowhide or padded linen subarmalis as did many other groups I saw :???:

What are bracers?

There were a few loose fitting segs, but no more that would have been seen in 70AD on Tiro's.

There were issues, there always are at events of this size, as organisers we try not be over critical of smaller groups starting out with less funds. Hopefully with inclusion and guidance they'll get better the more they mix with groups that have spot on kit. Enforcing standards is always a moot point. How far do you go? Hand beaten steel? Loom woven tunics? No canvas tents? You'll end up with an event with 2 milites Confusedad: . the point of Deva is to show the might of the legion, therefore numbers are important. Bear in mind there was no plastic or cardboard kit. That we do enforce.

Whilst not fully enforced, our preference is to coduct all parades (regardless of weather)without Sagum or Paenulla, in order to show off the kit (check Josephus). I have to say I've tried a variety of oils for proofing armour, none of which works satisfactorily. Oil of any type goes rancid (oxidises) after a period, leaving a sitcky residue which attracts dust dirt and grime and can actually accelerate the rusting process. The only staisfactory solution I've found is to clean back any surface rust with a fine grit before it has a chance to develop and pit.

To all participants, reenactors, traders, authors supports staff etc; A HUGEthankyou for taking part. We really can't say a big enough thanks to those who stuck at it in terrible conditions on Sunday, adapted and made yet another successful event.

Looking forward to an even bigger event next year.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

An excellent response Mark, i would like to thank you for an excellent event and throughly looking forward to next year. (when i will remember to re waterproof the tent)
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Quote:It seems I have found out how to post pictures after all! So here goes!
Apologies Graham, I was still busy with cleaning stuff after my own weekend off (Romeinenfestival, Nijmegen) that I did not get around to post them. But I see you've done so very well yourself. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thank you Graham for sharing the photos. There are some really cool shots there!
(although I can see my diadem is slipping ... I might glue it on now :mrgreen: and start carrying a little replica Persian mirror around too 8-) )
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Quote:Comments on medieval mail Mordor/LARP - The only group that fitted this description (from my recollection) was Brittannia, but as they are late Romans this is correct.
If it is indeed Britannia that our esteemed member has in mind, although I would agree that some kit details are not 100%, from what I've seen in the past most of their equipment it's quite OK. Some are even spotless. before making comments like these, I would suggest looking up a bit of information about other Roman periods would do no harm, or at least phrasing it more politely. there are members of this group on this forum you know.

Myself, having experienced the coldest June 3rd in 75 years (it was as warm as last Christmas day, actually) without any problems, I keep wondering why some many Principate groups insist on bare legs and arms, as if they are portraying the army in Italy instead of the Lower Rhine. But then again, nobody expected these temperatures. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:This was my first event as a re-enactor and you Romans made an Eastern enemy feel very welcome! :mrgreen: Big Grin
Nadeem, as I've already said on FB, you had a fabulous piece of kit. laudes! I DO hope you can pop over to the continent in future and give us Late Romans some opposition.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
daryush post=313727 Wrote:This was my first event as a re-enactor and you Romans made an Eastern enemy feel very welcome! :mrgreen: Big Grin
Nadem, as I've already said on FB, you had a fabulous piece of kit. laudes! I DO hope you can pop over to the continent in future and give us Late Romans some opposition.

Thank you! I hope so too - that would be incredible! Let's keep in touch on FB and if I am free I would love to pop over sometime :-D
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Quote:IMHO the the majority of kit was excellent. The poor kit was in the minority.

I honestly don't want to go through the photos and highlight all those things for you in red, so let's just agree to disagree.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 Mergus 78 13,975 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat