Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscled Cuirass- Prodromi Iron type & NEW Copper Alloy Type
Well thanks Henk-Jan- but I already have it :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
the more the merrier!! are you thinking of taking this type of musculata in production??

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
LOL I'd be appreciated to receive it again of course, but I don't think it's even possible technically. And I'm already making them for a few folks, yes Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
WOW Confusedhock: ...it looks really "alive" Big Grin ...great job Matt !
Dziekuje Patryk- coming from someone as skilled as you, that's a real compliment Big Grin
I'm not sure are my skills something special :? )

Your work is really worth of the compliments Big Grin
@ everyone who wants to see Prodromi iron muscle thorax, you must visit the Archaeological museum of Igoumenitsa.

I will go there, first chance I get. Anyways back to Prodromi armor and the magnificent job that Matt has done.
Well done, Matt, truly amazing.

There is however something missing. When found, the Prodromi thorax had a companion all-iron cavalry kopis longsword.
Much like Iron muscle thorax, whose existence had been in doubt (just literary evidence which was dismissed of), even today there are actual people who believe that Hellenic horsemen in Classical and Hellenistic times in Greece and Orient used the short knife-like machaira/kopis/xiphos swords while on horseback. This cavalry kopis proves them wrong as the cavalry would need a sword with longer reach to get the job done.

[Image: PIC_2079.jpg]
the sword handle,
[Image: PIC_3200-1.jpg]
and also showing this,
[Image: PIC_3201.jpg]

as well as the business end of the long kopis sword.
[Image: PIC_3202.jpg]

This picture to show exactly how long the long kopis was, in relation to Prodromi muscle thorax. This would be great in measuring its exact dimensions. Unfortunately I don't have them.
[Image: PIC_3198-1.jpg]
this,
[Image: PIC_3199-1.jpg]

I don't know if you are feeling up to this Matt, but could you or maybe a swordsmith friend of yours make a replica of the Prodromi cavalry kopis?
I can promise you that not many have been done, not accurately that is. Especially this one, an all-iron specimen.
Kostas Papadopoulos
History fans like myself should keep these wise words in mind
When in doubt about sources, trustworthiness or what the writer of what you read about is really after, I \'d advise Ktesias test after that Münchhausen of ancient Greece.
This kopis has been reconstructed already, to a certain degree. Smile Its not all-iron though, the handle has been altered and is made from wood + brass/copper decorations. You can read more in this old thead.

link from old RAT
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Thanks for the link and for making this. Appreciated.
Kostas Papadopoulos
History fans like myself should keep these wise words in mind
When in doubt about sources, trustworthiness or what the writer of what you read about is really after, I \'d advise Ktesias test after that Münchhausen of ancient Greece.
Quote:Anyways back to Prodromi armor and the magnificent job that Matt has done.
Well done, Matt, truly amazing.

There is however something missing. When found, the Prodromi thorax had a companion all-iron cavalry kopis longsword.
Much like Iron muscle thorax, whose existence had been in doubt (just literary evidence which was dismissed of), even today there are actual people who believe that Hellenic horsemen in Classical and Hellenistic times in Greece and Orient used the short knife-like machaira/kopis/xiphos swords while on horseback. This cavalry kopis proves them wrong as the cavalry would need a sword with longer reach to get the job done.

I don't know if you are feeling up to this Matt, but could you or maybe a swordsmith friend of yours make a replica of the Prodromi cavalry kopis?
I can promise you that not many have been done, not accurately that is. Especially this one, an all-iron specimen.

Well thanks very much keravnos, I appreciate the compliment. But the sword isn't 'missing'- I do plan to forge one and that'll likely be the example I'll use since it does go with the cuirass, I just haven't had the opportunity as of yet. It, like so much else, is definitely on the list :wink:
Athanasios Porporis from Australia kindly sent me these photos of his new muscled thorax made by Manning Imperial. One of the few made entirely of bronze!
[Image: 4366434022_a0497ef3d2_b.jpg]
[Image: 4366438356_1b90d4dc41_b.jpg]
[Image: 4365698087_1750219b6a_b.jpg]
It was made based on a cast of the customer's torso,so although i can see it was based on the same cuirass Matt based his, it also has some reasonably different characteristics.
Matt,any progress photos of any of the two cuirasses?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
That's a nice picece- I surely do wish I knew where to find real bronze of the appropriate thickness and size... maybe Sean will share his secret. No, no further pictures yet Giannis- too many client projects to finish just now to spend any more 'development' time on new pieces unfortunately. Hopefully before too long though I'll get back to it...
An armourer friend who makes similar said that he "sweated " the bronze together to make larger pieces.
I hope this helps without removing too much of the mystique.
Regards
richard
No, that's what I was figuring I'd have to do- a pain and unfortunate, but it seems true bronze- not the 510 alloy that is actually brass (90:10 Cu:Zn, so it looks like bronze of 10% tin)- isn't made or at least stocked in anything much wider than 30cm.
Quote:No, that's what I was figuring I'd have to do- a pain and unfortunate, but it seems true bronze- not the 510 alloy that is actually brass (90:10 Cu:Zn, so it looks like bronze of 10% tin)- isn't made or at least stocked in anything much wider than 30cm.
I will check the supplier I was checking with a couple of years back Matt. Perhaps they will have contacts back home as well.
I am sure they had wider sheet than that. (the ones that quoted £1000+ for a 1"x1"x1' sheet.) Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirass Matt Lukes 36 12,157 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes