Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turned Aspis Project in Progress
Spinner,

Pilos helms (Conical pot-helmets favored by Spartans) were probably spun and they are very simple,I can see some products on the website that look almost the same. Do you know off hand based on previous products what it would cost to spin a head sized pot?

an example of a pilos:

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~clscs ... 2-5(BR1595 ).jpg
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
The link isn't working for me...
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Quote:The link isn't working for me...

I just did a google image search for "Pilos Helmet" and chose the first good example (the second image), so try that instead.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
You just need to copy and paste the whole URL in the bar,because for some reason a part in the rear isn't interactive.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I tried to find this file on the thread, but cannot locate it...perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. If you coudl e-mail me the file, I would be happy to take a look at this. Address [email protected]

Thanks!
Ah ok.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Athena/Cheryl wrote:
Quote:The weight of the metal will add about 20 lb. (9.1 kg).
.....something is wrong here,Cheryl - the whole Aspis should not weigh more than 7-8 kg......

A report by Dr Jeronomides on the Vatican Aspis/shield gives dimensions as follows:

Diameter: slightly non-circular 82-81.5 cm ( probably due to play in the bearings of the lathe)

Thickness: 2.0-2.5 cm ( estimate of original thickness) in centre, tapering through 1.9 cm on the 'shoulder' to 1.1 cm where bowl meets rim, which also tapers 8mm at rim

Width of rim: 3.8 cm
Thickness of bronze: less than 0.5 mm( 22-24 gauge)( and probably around 0.1-0.2mm on average - less than 30 gauge) - a rough calculation thus shows the wood core should weigh around 4 kg, and the bronze sheath about 0.6 kg(1.35 lbs) (based on 0.1-0,2 mm);
2 kg max. (4.5.lbs) based on 0.5mm

Thickness of leather lining 0.25 mm ( the interior and inside of rim both, the joint between bowl leather and rim leather was sewn).....

....this implies an overall weight with fittings lining etc of around 7 kg (15.5 lbs) aprox....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Yeah, I know. The spinners calculated a circle of bronze of 38-40 inches at 13 gauge thick. That's very heavy. But they have a formula that tells them how much material to use with out ripping the metal as it spins. I have to trust them. I can't afford even one, much less putzing around with variations to get the most weight out of it. Spinning might not be the answer.
Cheryl Boeckmann
The full bronze face is showy, but many, probably most, aspises did not have one. They had bronze-clad rims and leather faces with applied bronze blazons-
Paul M. Bardunias
The bronze blazons is debatable if they were used in battle or were just placed on dedications. And it would be nice to know how many rims have been found in comparison to bronze facings. I don't think they're far more-if at all.
With factories making shields massively,i think that much of the technology that now seems incredible and thus any reproduction is so higly prized,it had become given at some point,and thus they were more affordable.Remember that we still can't reproduce so perfect corinthian and other helmets,although so many of them have been found.And after 500bc lesser and lesser crude helms appear.I wouldn't be very surprized if more bronze faced shields existed among the ranks than we think. Don't forget that at that time all those objects,like bronze containers tripods and such were made by hand. Today the same thing by hand need more money to perchase.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:And it would be nice to know how many rims have been found in comparison to bronze facings. I don't think they're far more-if at all.

Do you have Snodgrass's book? He notes more shields with bronze rims have been found than full faces. The book is a bit dated though.

As to blazons being just for dedication, I have no data either way.
Paul M. Bardunias
No,it's a shame,i don't have Snodgrass Sad
Giannis K. Hoplite
Regardless, that's more weight than I'd like to carry for more than half an hour.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

Quote:No,it's a shame,i don't have Snodgrass

I'll scan the choice parts for you when I get a chance- i.e. it will take a while.
Paul M. Bardunias
I'm EXTREMELY thankful. Let you take as much time as you want. I'm in the exam period :lol: :evil:
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite