Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology
Quote:Absolutely- The Spartans is phenomenal.

I would add these other PBS documentaries:

Athens- the dawn of democracy

The Minotaur's Island

All presented and written by Bettany Hughes- these are absolutely the most outstanding ancient civilization documentaries I've ever seen- definitely not History Channel junk LOL Each of these, including the Spartans, is available on DVD from PBS actually and I think well worth the cost.

I don't know myself. I think she skips over a lot of things, generalises heavily, and this is aimed at the passing interest group rather than serious student. Bettany Hughes is to blokes what Michael Wood was to the intellectual ladies out there - the thinking man's bit of TV crumpet. I remember when these came out - either on BBC2 or Channel 4 (can't remember which) and yes it was laudable to see this subject getting covered (especially the Spartans) but I did feel let down in the end. The usual myths and mirages are presented without much depth or consideration and of course you get the impression the Spartans only existed from Thermopylai to Leuktra. Still - better than nothing I suppose...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Oh and what would you suggest is a better TV documentary? You do realize that's the context of the comments, right? Not just in general...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Oh and what would you suggest is a better TV documentary? You do realize that's the context of the comments, right? Not just in general...

I do realise that indeed ML and I am not criticising your views per se :| - just disagreeing with the level of value placed upon them - all purely in my own humble opinion of course. A serious presentation of Sparta should have covered a longer period and perhaps mentioned more than just the standard A-Z of Spartan cliches ...

But you know - each to their own 8)
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Fair enough- but I honestly don't know of any documentary that does what you're suggesting- they're all for the greater audience, and the majority are really not terribly good (like the new Battles BC crap show, for example)... my comments were in the context of the population- The Spartans beats the hell out of anything from the History Channel and a lot from the Discovery Channel... even the BBC; What the {blank} Did For Us was a fun show, but as much for the passing interest group you menitioned as most LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I have to add this one about Helen of Troy narrated by Bettany Hughes
[url:1ov09frz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkEi1nhF_jM&feature=related[/url]
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Unexpectedly enjoyable documentary!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Greetings!

[size=150:eho01wnp]JUNE 17.2010[/size]
Offline link marked: History Channel: Sicily the Greek legacy in the West
Offline link marked: Ancient Discoveries: Mega Machines
Movies added:
The Spartans
Helen Of Troy
Secrets Of The Parthenon
Ancient Discoverys - The Antikythera Mechanism
Ancient Discoverys - Cars And Planes

[size=150:eho01wnp]JUNE 18.2010[/size]
Offline link fixed: Ancient Discoveries: Mega Machines
miscellaneous: I created playlists for continuous playback on my youtube channel.
Movies added:
Decisive Battles - The Battle Of Gaugamela
Egypt Unwrapped - Alexander the Greats Lost Tomb
Ancient Discoveries - Siege of Troy

[size=150:eho01wnp]JUNE 20.2010[/size]
Movies added:
Ancient Discoveries - Ancient Surgery and Medicine
Ancient Discoveries - Heron Of Alexandria

[size=150:eho01wnp]JUNE 22.2010[/size]
Movies added:
The Ancient World - The Spartans (New Update with playlist)

[size=150:eho01wnp]JUNE 28.2010[/size]
Movies added:
The Ancient World - ATHENS: The Truth about Democracy (Athens - Dawn Of Democracy)

Enjoy,

Cheers!

-Agesilaos
AGESILAOS
a.k.a.: Agesilaos Agorastos
Heteroi de ton auton touton tas archas deka legousin einai
I have rented the DVDs, or seen most of these on television, nice to have a way to re-view some of them, without having to pay for dvd rentals again! Big Grin

Thanks!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
You are welcome.
AGESILAOS
a.k.a.: Agesilaos Agorastos
Heteroi de ton auton touton tas archas deka legousin einai
Marathon
http://www.zougla.gr/page.ashx?pid=2&aid=181116&cid=13

Dear non Greek Speakers, a version with English subtitles will hopefully be available from November

Kind regards
These documentaries are very interesting and informative. Thank you very much!
Zeuxippos -- Sage
A documentaries form ARTE, European TV Chain( French and German), in fully version until the 1st of december 2012 :

IN Name of Athens : two episod during the persian wars : Matarathon and Salamines : the dialogues are in ancient persian and greek, but the subtitle are only in frenc and german, sorry!

Marathon :
http://videos.arte.tv/fr/videos/au-nom-d...69832.html

Salamine :
http://videos.arte.tv/fr/videos/au-nom-d...69878.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Armies YouTube video: Could an Infantry Line Wheel? Justin Swanton 5 1,009 05-26-2021, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Which Ancient Warfare issues would you recommend for an interest in phalangites? mma_calculator 1 2,052 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Ancient coins returned to Greece Justin I 0 1,102 08-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Justin I