Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohh Knickers!
Well to be more precise these..... Confusedmile:

made after an original found in Londinium....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I am sure there are several sites on the Internet selling these now.....Smile....they just don't know they are Roman.
Nice work, looks like leather. The only ones I have seen, that sounds like a peeping tom/pervert, are in linen/wool.
Best of luck using them, tell us if it chafes/rubs. Then we can avoid them....lol.
Kevin
Kevin
Is that... vegetable-tanned? :eek:
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Not sure about anyone else but my eyes are watering...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes they are veg tanned goat very thin about 1mm or less, the hem stitch is a flexible tunnel stitch difficult to do on such thin leather ;-) altogether there are 6 such items from Roman finds that I know off... I've only seen four though and only one was being worn at the time :grin: , this is I think the most complete of this type (there are other more revealing examples) and resembles the type illustrated by statues and mosaics of sporty women.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Very nice work!

Quote:... altogether there are 6 such items from Roman finds that I know off...

I think I know 2 or 3, the London one above being one of them. Do you have details on the others, perhaps?
I only know of details for four, three from London and one from Trier

This Pair Flavian or earlier see here in PDF:
"Excavations at Queen Street and Roman Wells in London" Transactions LAMAS 33 1982

Some others
3rd century example from Shadwell London, I believe its here: http://www.museumoflondonarchaeology.org...htm?pid=31

Two "Tangas" one from London the other from Trier(2nd century) see: Funde und Ausgrabungen im Bezirk Trier 33 2007 page 60 "Romische Leder Tangas"

Thats the four I have seen, the other two I'm reliably informed exist but am not certain of details as yet.
Ivor

Thanks, Ivor - I'll check these out. The Trier one seems to be no. 39 / 2007 (not 33).
I'll let you know what I find!
Yes thats right 39 my bad ;-)
Ivor

I believe that the London specimen is thought to have been intended for wear by a teenaged girl, judging by its size. Have any been found that were definitely designed for men? The Villa Borghese mosaic shows gladiators after their fights, stripped to what appear to be leather bikinis like this, holding their victory palms.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I believe that the London specimen is thought to have been intended for wear by a teenaged girl, judging by its size. Have any been found that were definitely designed for men? The Villa Borghese mosaic shows gladiators after their fights, stripped to what appear to be leather bikinis like this, holding their victory palms.

Yes its said to be for a teenage girl allowing for a bit of shrinkage its around 80cm on the hip, I dont know if any of the survivors could be male but given the mosaic it seems at least a possibility that such could exist, adjusted to suit the male figure no doubt....
Ivor

I can confirm that "The Roman Tower at Shadwell, London: a reappraisal" contains info on the remains of the Briefs found there, the text mentions six so far found in London but only three sites mentioned by name, Queen Street, Shadwell and Swan Lane (for which as far as I can see no report has been published) also one from Mainz..... and one Tanga each from London(maybe included in the London total for briefs) and Trier... so at least eight possibly nine in total so far...

On the sizing, its probable that Roman women were slimmer then modern ones so these may well have been made for adult females... or so the article says, there is some evidence sited for this :wink:
Ivor