Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practicing javelin throwing?
Salvete Omnes!

I have been toying with an idea of practising of throwing small javelins to a target. The target could be the same cardboard box etc. placed on a sand hill I use for my archery practice. So here are my questions: where to get good affordable javelin heads? How about the shaft (dimensions etc), any tips on the throwing technique?

Thanks in advance Wink!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
There are different kinds. Basicly, I recon with three sizes. 12 mm shaft (80-100 long) for the horse javelins, 16-18 shaft (120-150 long) for the short spears held behind the shield (by velites) and 22-26 shaft (180 long) for the longer javelin. For you, perhaps the velites type would be most suited. The easiest (and thus cheapest) way of making javelin heads is using the fold technique, as that way you can make a javelin head from a precut triangle of iron within half an hour, including the sharpening of the edges. These are historicly accurate, although usually I have seen solid neck types (like the ones on the left and far right in the display), which is instrumental to the way javelin heads were then made from solid stock.
Here is a quick picture of my educational display on "flying pointy things", and yes, for this coming season it needs a bit of sandpaper and oil :errr:

[attachment=6734]Displayjavelins.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks Robert, loads of useful info Confusedmile: ! I was thinking of a javelin of a length of about 180 cm...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Perhaps get yourself a pair of both and compare :wink: . I personally prefered throwing the velites, cutting edge (killing power) is about the same, so I prefer distance over mass and the lighter ones throw well. I made Yves two long folded points on 180 shafts, but I do not know if he has been actually throwing them. Solid neck ones do tend to have a bit more mass to the head, but are also more work.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Training for throwing javelin/pilum richsc 18 4,158 03-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Gaius Honorius Felix