Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor welding on Italic D? Suggestions?
Quote:I don't know of any item from Deepeeka, that would be authentic. And this quality is usual from them...

Granted I don't expect the helmet to be of exact proportions, in another thread we discussed several little things here and there about Deepeeka helmets that was incorrect. However I refering to "incorrect" and "poor quality" as different things. No one, including myself thinks that these mass produced helmets are going to be of the same quality as a custom made one
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
You are completly right on that. Deepeeka has made some good improvements and corrections when urged to do so. However, there are also helmets produced by them which have had suggestions ignored. Frankly, I would think many Deepeeka helmets are of perfectly acceptable quality in workmanship, the flaws they show are more about conforming to a known original. But we must also except that for every helmet found, thousands have not and slight variations would have abounded. I am not really into helmets, but in the case of swords, I have yet to see two exactly the same. Which does not of course open the route of "everything goes", as sticking as close as possible to the archeological evidence should always be a goal IMHO. Avoiding glaring errors for which no provenance can be shown should remain a goal and we should always be willing to question any "inventions" or re-enactorismes, certainly now that much more research material has become readily available compared to 15 years ago. Still, we see people copying items from that period, when for years it has been apparent that these have no archological basis.
Often the cost issue is quoted as being the source for this, but that argument does not hold true. For instance, it takes the same amount of raw materials and time to produce a correct bone grip as it does a faulty one.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
If it cannot be established who the manufacturer of the helmet is, it won't do to discuss the production flaws of just pne manufacturer. The person who sold it to you is the person you must adress. If that's not possible, it's no use asking Depeeka to look into this, is it? As advised many time before on this forum, if you (or anyone else on this forum) is disatisfied with an item, this should be taken up with the party the item was bought from. This is not a place to complain.

So the advice would indeed be what you suggested yourself: contact the seller and try and get a replacement or partial refund.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Often the cost issue is quoted as being the source for this, but that argument does not hold true
And a Gallic A is a simpler helmet than a Trooper, yet it costs triple price. :-x

BTW, Robert is completely correct. We should not bash Deepeeka if we don't know they made the helmet. That's like complaining to General Motors customer service about problems with a Chrysler.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Robert, this thread was in no ways meant to bash Deepeeka. It was to establish whether or not this work was normal for them.

I have contacted the seller, and I am sending it back to Gift International in Virginia, which I have heard Gagan mention before, so I am inclined to believe it in a Deepeeka.

If I didn't start this thread, I wouldn't have known that these were considered serious flaws, and I may have talked myself into keeping this flawed helmet.

-Matt
They will know if it is their manufacture. So please keep us posted as to what happens. In general Deepeeka has a good track record of customer relations. If it is not their helmet, they might know who did make it.

News report, when you get it, please, sir.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have an ugly gap in the slot for the brow guard on my Imperial Gallic F helmet. That was a Deepeeka product too, so it does seem some items are rushed, while others are good quality.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
It could also be one crafts shop made the bowl of the helmet and another the brow guard. Given that, it's possible that one person missed the specs and/or used the wrong punch. Regardless, I have one, too, and it doesn't look great, but then if we're really talking authentic,

well, electrowelding, modern brass, modern steel, power tools and air hammers-- 'nuff said I reckon. A replica made like the originals, with original-style tools, with original metals costs about like a pretty good used car. Choices we all have to make.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
With all due respect, but we need to get clear on authentic. I do not or have ever advocated the return to the slave powered grinding wheel, but could we agree "authentic" to be "conforming as closely as possible both in appearance and functionality to the archeological record, with the correct use of known materials (no aluminium where iron was used etc etc)"?

Advocating only custom made articles I believe would be silly, there is a market for well researched and well crafted industrialy made goods, be they from India or elswhere. They make the hobby affordable to many. BUT it will IMHO not do to accept faulty produce with the excuse that it would otherwise be too expensive. Cheaply produced articles with glaring errors or clear signs of bad or sloppy workmanship should be adressed. It is the only way we can move the quality of the stuff we use to portray the past forward.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
So you guys think I should send some pictures to Gagan as well?

I would like to say right now that, I own several Deepeeka pieces, past and present. I intend on expanding my collection as well. If you look at my avatar, you'll notice my Gallic H helmet, segmentata and caligae are all Deepeeka products, along with my Gallic A helmet, all of which I proudly display in my family room. Deepeeka is an overall good company, and I would recommend them to anyone getting into the hobby. The example of this Italic D is atypical of their work from what I am familiar with

-Matt
I emailed Gagan today, to let him know about this. I'll let you know if anything comes of it

-Matt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pattern welding - authentic for Late Romans? M. Val. Naso 1 1,553 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Alanus