Publisher: Knopf (October 23, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0375411852
ISBN-13: 978-0375411854
Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.6 x 1.7 inches
Shipping Weight: 2 pounds

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037541 ... 6KOU23VG9C

This looks interesting but the blurb on the dust jacket gives me pause:

"This is an important book, on a difficult subject: the reason why the Romans, who had so much in common with the Jews, sought to destroy the Jews and Judaism completely."

To my mind this is overstating the case. Of course part of the problem here is the concept of "THE ROMANS." Given that the empire was around for hundreds of years things changed and evolved over time. (Just as our own societies have changed and evolved even in our comparatively short life times.) The "Romans" of Julius Caesar's time were not the same as those of Constantine's day. Or am I wrong in this?

I have this book on my Amazon list and will reserve judgment until I have read it (perhaps I'll agree with Goodman's thesis after all). However, I would be curious to hear from the Forum if any have read this book or know this author.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I haven't read it yet, but I just bought it.... :oops: it's on my waiting list! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave,
yes, this book is very interesting. I have been reading it and as far as I can tell, this book is good :-) -) )

vale and regards
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"
Yes, I finished this book a short time ago and found it to be quite good. It reminded very much of Grant's early book "The Jews in the Roman World." Goodman's book goes into greater detail and benefits from the additional research done since Grant's book was published. Happily Goodman does not live down to the blurb on the book cover -- it is much better than that.

I would add that if you are looking for a good military history on the Jewish Revolt and the destruction of the Temple then you might consider Faulkner's book "Apocalypse." Goodman does cove the topic, but Faulkner does so in greater detail.

You are quite right Tita Martia, "Rome and Jerusalem" is a book worth recommending and certainly an excellent gift.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  from Rome Arch list, by Martin Conde richsc 0 1,240 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Last Post: richsc