Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites using Falcata
Quote:The mosaic in Palestrina - Praenestae museum shows hellenistic troops and rectangular "roman" shields and probably chain mail appear.
Kind regards

There is a lot of controversy surrounding that mosaic, and no one knows if those are Hellenistic or Republican Roman troops. The debate is further muddied by the fact that that particular portion of the mosaic has been restored some time in the Renaissance, leaving doubt as to which portions are original and which are not.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
So artistic conventions are suspected from the Renaissance restorers?
No carbon dating has been done in detail?

Kind regards
Quote:So artistic conventions are suspected from the Renaissance restorers?
No carbon dating has been done in detail?

Kind regards

Well, it's clear from some portions around some foliage to the right of the group that at least some of the restoration was different, so it's very hard to tell what was actually original. The mosaic is made of stone, which unfortunately cannot be carbon dated.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
(see for example the specific Barnett paper, 'From Ivriz to Constantinople: a study in bird headed swords'')

Where can I source this please ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Registro No. 340
AUTOR BARNETT, R.D.
FECHA (1983)
TITULO "From Ivriz to Constantinople. A study in Bird-headed swords".

REV_SERIE Festchrift für K. Bittel, Beitr.Altertumskunde Kleinasiens,
PAGINAS 59-74
LUGAR Mainz
CLAVETEMA AR GE RT
BIBLIOTECA DAI ROMA
SIGNATURA Resumen

Hope this helps
Best Regards