Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double memorial
Hi all,
Found an interesting inscription from Ephesus:
Belegstelle: IK-16, 02232a
Provinz: Asia Ort: Ephesus
D(is) M(anibus) / L(ucio) Calpurnio Rufo / scribae cl(assis) pr(aetoria) Mis(enensis) / hic Epheso in munere missus / defunctus est et ibi sarcophago / marmoreo situs est / M(arcus) Sittius Africanus municeps et / heres ad castra memoria fecit

Tentatively:
To the gods of the underworld,
For Lucius Calpurnius Rufus, scriba of the ClPrMis, who was sent here to Ephesus for a task, and died and is there laid up in a marble sarcophagus. Marcus Sittius Africanus, citizen and heir, made a monument at the camp.

Am I correct in understanding that he was buried at Ephesus and was remembered at the camp (wherever that was) as well? The triple location (here at Eph, there, at the camp) indications would seem a bit too much if it was all in the same place. Right?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What an incredibly strange inscription!

I suspect that there was a clause in L. Calpurnius Rufus' will that said his heir had to set up a tombstone/memorial for him in a certain way, which is common enough, whereas his marble sarcophagus was already prepared elsewhere. Was Ephesus actually a municipium in mid-1st through the 2nd century CE? (as the heir is a municeps--maybe it doesn't matter, but it might be an important choice of words)

I do wonder where "ibi" is. He was sent here "hic" to Ephesus and that is the findspot given for this inscription, which is known to be "ad castra". Perhaps those two things can be taken as equivalent (if M. Sittius Africanus describes where he is as "hic" and also says that the memorial--this memorial--is set up in camp). So "ibi" wouldn't be necessary unless it meant somewhere else--most likely wherever he was sent from and where he had already made provisions for a marble sarcophagus. Maybe Misenum?

I'm possibly being overly equivocal with my 'wonders' and 'maybes'!

Did the reference come from Manfred Clauss' site?
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute
Hi Lisa,
Yeah, the reference comes from Clauss. Thanks for your thoughts. It gets weirder: Misenum is NEVER called a castra out of dozens of inscriptions. And if he was based at Ephesus, then why is there a sarcophagus prepared somewhere else?
The big question: how permanent is the castra in Ephesus?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:And if he was based at Ephesus, then why is there a sarcophagus prepared somewhere else?
Does the sarcophagus have his portrait on it?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim,
The inscription above seems to belong to another stone than the actual sarcophagus. It could be the same, but the Clauss database does not give any info on the find itself, I'd have to find the actual publication.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Hi Jim,
The inscription above seems to belong to another stone than the actual sarcophagus.
I realised that, mate. The reason I ask is just to do with the theory that portrait sculpture was done while the soldier was alive. If he popped his clogs while stationed somewhere else, other than where he usually was, then that could be a very theoretical reason for him being commemorated in different places.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim,
Well, that's certainly possible. Who knows, it might turn up sometime. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
That was the impression I got when I read it, possibly for the wrong reason though! I thought he was on a mission to Ephesus, and died while there? So They put up a memorial there and buried him elsewhere, or in Ephesus? Or put up a memorial elsewhere as well?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That was the impression I got when I read it, possibly for the wrong reason though! I thought he was on a mission to Ephesus, and died while there? So They put up a memorial there and buried him elsewhere...

This is what I think too. I figure he must have had some funeral arrangements already planned out wherever he was sent from and so was buried there, wherever that was. Then his heir set up a stone where he died.
L. M. Anderson

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute">www.brown.edu/joukowskyinstitute