Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Founding of Rome
Hello evryone this is my first post. I read recently that the founding of rome, note not the republic, was dated april 21, 753 bce. Does anyone know if that is an accurate date, if not what would be the accurate date <p></p><i></i>
<br>
<br>
The first writing about the foundation was by the roman senator Q. Fabius Pictor in 200 B.C., when he wrote in greek the first history of Roma, gathering all the knowledge (with many traditions and legends) about it. Virgilius, Ouidius and Liuius writings came after taking a lot from Pictor.<br>
<br>
To fulfill the 400 years gap, between the Troy war (conventionally in 1182 B.C.) and the VIII century B.C. (foundation of Roma) was necessary to "invent" the kings of Alba dinasty.<br>
<br>
The exact year of the foundation is not known and of course the exact day too, but Q. F. Pictor told about the 748 B.C. and his successors writers hypotized 753, 751, 728 too.<br>
<br>
At the end of the Republic the official date proposed by Marcus Terentius Varro was 753. The archeological findings attest that the Forum area was populated since about 1000 B.C., but, if we consider the Palatinus as the original nucleus of the Urbs (as the roman tradition tells), ceramics and hut staffs holes found there, confirm the the foundation in VIII century B.C.<br>
<br>
So, the traditional date seems to be confirmed archeologically too.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
For people that can't mark the date, a German noticing set for history students says:<br>
<br>
Sieben, fünf, dr<span style="text-decoration:underline">ei</span>,<br>
Rom kroch aus dem <span style="text-decoration:underline">Ei</span>.<br>
<br>
Seven, five, three,<br>
Rome crept from the egg.<br>
(regrettably, in English it doesn't rhyme) <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
<br>
<br>
Considering Rome's imperial symbol was the eagle, that seems apropos, Uwe!<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Two books are a must read to begin to understand all this.<br>
First "The Foundation of Rome", by Alexandre Grandazzi. It's about the story of the legend and the archaeological finds on the Palatine.<br>
Then Michel Serres' "Rome, the Book of Foundations", which is a masterpiece. This one is very difficult, very philosophical and obscure. It's full of little know legendary episodes and Serres dos not tries to elucidate anything but the whole book gives a perfect idea of what "foundation" mean and what myths ands legends are really about. Fascinating. <p></p><i></i>
Where do you guys get all your specific information from, don't say books(maybe some good authors, or a good place to look). Granted I am currently a student focusing on Rome so am still studying about rome, but know it very well compared to people of my own age. So if you know a good place to begin, it would be appreciated. <p></p><i></i>
<br>
If you can find an english translation try also: "Arcana Urbis" by Marco Baistrocchi (1987 ECIG - Genova, Italy).<br>
<br>
Vale and go deep with your knowing of Roma, you'll find a lot,<br>
<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]