Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Dictionary of Military Terms
#16
"who didn't get the whole V=U thing...Bolshiest bunch of printers I've ever come across"

As a Printer/Printmaker, I find that irritating.

Not to derail the topic, but, I could maybe understand the using V instead of U might seem a bit, dare I say, tacky, nowadays, but, seeing as it's essentially targeting a specific audience who'd "get it", maybe not such a big deal. Typographers [used to] be pretty clever, if obnoxious, in their linguistic knowledge and humor.
…At least they're not using Papyrus as the font…?
*shrug*
Andy Volpe - aka - Titus Vulpius Dominicus
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
andyvolpe.com
Legio III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
(Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legion-III...7570148688)
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum
Reply
#17
Quote:"who didn't get the whole V=U thing...Bolshiest bunch of printers I've ever come across"

As a Printer/Printmaker, I find that irritating.
Try being the writer/publisher!


Quote:Not to derail the topic, but, I could maybe understand the using V instead of U might seem a bit, dare I say, tacky, nowadays, but, seeing as it's essentially targeting a specific audience who'd "get it", maybe not such a big deal. Typographers [used to] be pretty clever, if obnoxious, in their linguistic knowledge and humor.
I just put it down to their being part of Amazon (and all that entails) and gave in not-quite-graciously. There are four words Amazon needs to remember: this too will pass.


Quote:…At least they're not using Papyrus as the font…?
*shrug*
I almost wish I'd used Comic Sans ... ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#18
Quote:I just put it down to their being part of Amazon (and all that entails)
Maybe that explains why Amazon, in acknowledging my order, tells me that I have ordered 'Vt Milites DicVntVr'.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Reply
#19
Quote:
mcbishop post=363816 Wrote:I just put it down to their being part of Amazon (and all that entails)
Maybe that explains why Amazon, in acknowledging my order, tells me that I have ordered 'Vt Milites DicVntVr'.
indeed. They said the cover (VT MILITES DICVNTVR) had to match their metadata (Ut Milites Dicuntur). I explained about U and V in uppercase monumental Latin but got short shrift so my compromise was to, er, give them the Vs). I blame the lack of a classical education ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#20
Just in case anyone is searching for this on the U.S. Amazon, you have to use the Vs when you're searching, otherwise you won't return the right results. Looking forward to the book, Mike!
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
Reply
#21
Quote:Just in case anyone is searching for this on the U.S. Amazon, you have to use the Vs when you're searching, otherwise you won't return the right results. Looking forward to the book, Mike!
Shouldn't need to search for them as I provided links for them earlier in this thread, but here they are again just in case: (Amazon UK - Amazon US - Amazon DE). Curiously, searching for 'ut milites dicuntur' does work on Amazon UK, but not on US or DE. Go figure ...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#22
My two copies just arrived (one loaner). Indispensible, and I posted thus over on FB RAT.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Reply
#23
Well I finally got my copy, great little book, recommended.... that is if the author needs a recommendation from me :grin:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Reply
#24
Quote:Well I finally got my copy, great little book, recommended.... that is if the author needs a recommendation from me :grin:
Too kind, but always welcome ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#25
This reminded me to add my Amazon review, which I suggest the rest of you add as well.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Reply
#26
...... going through that thread I may have overloked an alternative way buying "Vt milites dicvntur" other than with A.........
Now,in fact, is there any ?

Greez & Thanks

Simplex
Siggi K.
Reply
#27
Quote:...... going through that thread I may have overloked an alternative way buying "Vt milites dicvntur" other than with A.........
Now,in fact, is there any ?
Yup. In the UK, you can now order UMD through any bookshop that deals with Nielsen (I, as The Armatura Press, am now a distributor) and next Monday Oxbow will be getting a delivery of the books so international customers could get it through them.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#28
Thank you very much , seems like a good step forward for me.
Not being familiar with some british poastal/trade abbreviations,
I'd translate UMD as Universal Media Disc, but I'm afraid it would more
be like Universal Media Distribution ??

Greez
Simplex
Siggi K.
Reply
#29
Quote:Not being familiar with some british poastal/trade abbreviations,
I'd translate UMD as Universal Media Disc, but I'm afraid it would more
be like Universal Media Distribution ??
Actually it's Ut Milites Dicuntur ;-)

For those who can be patient, there will be an ebook of it (which will be available through Amazon as a Kindle ebook but also as an epub through Smashwords (who distribute to Apple etc) if you want to avoid The Big A. It is taking rather a long time to do as I am hyperlinking every reference (so if you select an inscription you get taken to the original in Clauss-Slaby, or for a literary source to a piece of text in the Latin Library, or to a subliterary source likewise in one of the papyrus databases. As I said, it is very complex to set up, but it is in preparation. I think Amazon still run a deal whereby if you bought the paper book you get the ebook for free but I'll have to check that.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reply
#30
....oopps, I'm afraid I fell victim to the dreaded V>U-shift again.... :whistle: :unsure: :errr:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Reply


Forum Jump: