Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darius\' Mercenaries
What blazon would be on a shield of Greek mercenary in Darius' army? Greek letter of a polis..? Mythical character..? Some type of deity..?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
If they were serving for a long time in the Persian army (and Memnon's men did: they had served under Mentor and had taken part in the reconquest of Egypt in 346), I think they would have adapted a symbol that was acceptable to Greeks and Persians alike. A bull, eagle, sphinx, griffin, for example, but certainly not a lion (symbol of evil/Ahriman).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
What cities were they from? I what to say Athens and Rhodes predominately....
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
If they were hired as a group from an area they would be probably having the same shield device.

I asume you probably talk about Dareios Kodomanos who fought Alexander.
By that time the city monogram had substituted the older devices with the probable exception of Thebes.

Troops could have been raised either from mainland Greece or the Ionic or even Pontic colonies.

We have no evidence (at least for the time being) that Dareios presented colors or symbols to a unit or continent.

I do not agree with Jona completely because at a late Era the raven was an ill omen to ""Romeoi" but the Varangians used it none the less.

Greek spearmen were elit in the Persian army but not bodyguard unit so they could maintain their own shield devices.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maille During the Time of Darius I Lepidina 52 8,661 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Lepidina
  Darius III Website Arthes 1 1,204 03-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Aryaman2