Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites in Spain.
Hi
Can anybody please point me to internet references about the Greek colonies in Spain and their hoplites? I think they are all archaic period because they were in serious decline after the loss of Corsica and the Baleraic islands to the Carthagenians.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Greetings,
I tried looking, but did not find very much except the odd mention here and there...I didn't know they settled France too....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Comerus, do you know of any maps showing where the Greeks went and settled?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well Comerus the first is a Corinthean and I cannot make out what is the second. Most Greek colonies in Spain originated from Corinthos and Phokea like Massalia (Marseille). The hoplite would be Archaic in apperence because only Massalia survived the Carthagenian onslaught.
Tarbicus, archeology sets Greek colonies as north east as Melitopol Ukraine
(Melittopols), west till Gibraltar and Pytheas voyage proves that they navigated to Denmark. I´ll try to see if I find an I-net map too.
Thanks kind regards.
Stefanos
Can that helps you?:

-Empúries (Emporion=market) was founded at VI aC (600 or 575 aC) from Phokea.

-Roses (Rhode) was founded legendary by the rhodians at the VII aC (the first colony at the west). But archaeologically only VI aC is well atested.

Only that two citys were sure greek colonys at Spain.

Another grek settlements can be considered factorys depending Empuries:
Hemeroskopeion, Dianium, Akra Leuke (Alonis, Villaricos, Adra, Sexi, Toscanos, Mainake, Guadalhorce, Calpe [San Roque] and Huelva

At France, Phokea founds Massalia (600 aC) and Telinè (Arles) (500 aC)

For the weaponry, you can see a helmet founded at Huelva (Andalucía, Spain)

[url:2mky26rf]http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/cultura/bibliotecavirtualandalucia/img/historia/casco_corintio.jpg[/url]

[url:2mky26rf]http://www.uv.es/~alabau/Image40.gif[/url]
Grazias!!!!
Yes you have been very helpful.
Kind regards
Stefanos
My encyclopedia cross refernces the people from Kyme or Cymi.
Their symbol was the horse head on their coins.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Salve Comerus

The helmet is dated in the VI century aC. It was found at the ria (river) of Huelva, so without estratigraphical context.
a.C. means antes de Cristo, though b.C. and NOT after Christ... :!:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I thought Seguntum was founded by Greeks, wasn't it ?

The very same one Hannibal sacked which sparked the second Punic War.
Jaime
Thanks, Faventianus.

Saguntum (not Seguntum), a walled settlement on a hill over a near sea plain was founded in the 5th century BC by the Celtiberian. The city traded heavily with Greek and Phoenician, and minted its own coins to make easier that commerce.
I make out a "Coryni" on his shield so he might be Theban-mercenary possibly-but "Coryni" not encased in a Beotian shield perigran is associated with Arkadian akkies of the Thebans at Mantinea.
Colonies were rich and could employ various mercenaries.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Bueno, donde estan todos los Hoplites espanoles, entonces? No vienen a mi fiesta, el ano que viene? :?: Porque no? :roll: No me dicen que ustedes son todos Romanos, unicamente...Vistense de Linothorax y vienense a Inglaterra, amigos, Espana debe estar representado. Big Grin

Apologies for the lack of punctuation!
Quote:Bueno, donde estan todos los Hoplites espanoles, entonces? No vienen a mi fiesta, el ano que viene? :?: Porque no? :roll: No me dicen que ustedes son todos Romanos, unicamente...Vistense de Linothorax y vienense a Inglaterra, amigos, Espana debe estar representado. Big Grin

Cataluna, tambien!
Quote:
paulaallen:1nyl0nei Wrote:Bueno, donde estan todos los Hoplites espanoles, entonces? No vienen a mi fiesta, el ano que viene? :?: Porque no? :roll: No me dicen que ustedes son todos Romanos, unicamente...Vistense de Linothorax y vienense a Inglaterra, amigos, Espana debe estar representado. Big Grin

Cataluna, tambien!
I can read the odd word (no, I can't understand Spanish)....is that asking if there are any Spanish Hoplites coming to England...or are they all Romans? Smile
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-