Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Images of the Goddess Victoria
(08-15-2017, 12:26 PM)Renatus Wrote: This image of the scabbard mouth of the so-called 'Sword of Tiberius' in the British Museum shows Germanicus presenting a victriola statuette to Tiberius. It probably gives a good idea of the size of the statuette:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/julio-claudians/281893579

Many thanks to both Nathan Ross, and Renatus for their replies and images.   I had previously seen the scabbard images from the Tiberius sword... it seems quite amazing that this was not torn to bits for its valuable metal in antiquity.  The image of of Lucius Verus is new to me and quite wonderful - notwithstanding the restorations.

Seeing both replies; it seems that I may not have framed my question terribly accurately.  

I am very familiar with various sources - coins, carvings, and intaglios of the images of goddess Victoria.  I received a present of a quite lovely chalcedony chromium --dark green -- intaglio of the goddess from the 1st century AD; which, set me off on research around her.  

Given the story I have previously related -- about "generals" being presented with a statuette of the goddess as they sacrificed in her template at Rome; and the fact that the location of the temple is not known -- there is speculation -- nor any description of the temple, or the large image of the goddess in the temple.....  

What I am wondering is.... if any of the ...specific small presentation statuettes given in the temple to the victorious commanders have been found and validated as duplicating what the full-sized temple image of the goddess looked like?  

Spoils of war were dedicated in the temple to the goddess; which , should have made her priests (priestesses??) quite well-off.  I would assume that the presentation statuettes would be of a very high-order of craftsmanship -- ivory?  gold-washed bronze??   

So...if any single one (or more) of these small statuettes has survived; I'd like to know where it is located, are there any photos or drawings which show the specific elements of the image; for example:  wings size and orientation, palm or something else in one hand, length of gown (these seem to vary) etc.

I hope that the above gives a better explanation of what I am looking for!

Messages In This Thread
Images of the Goddess Victoria - by Mikeh55 - 08-14-2017, 02:39 PM
RE: Images of the Goddess Victoria - by Renatus - 08-15-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Images of the Goddess Victoria - by Mikeh55 - 08-16-2017, 08:49 PM
RE: Images of the Goddess Victoria - by Caratacus - 03-23-2018, 10:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet ? And a Victoria ? raeticus 11 3,310 07-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Antonius Lucretius