Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet found near Canterbury
I don't think this has appeared on RAT yet. A Montefortino helmet re-used as a cremation "urn". No dating evidence as yet, but (inevitably) they're linking it with Caesar's invasions: "It is tempting to place the helmet in the context of Caesar’s Gallic War, or indeed his expeditions to Kent in 55 and 54 BC. The helmet is of a type which could have been used by Caesar’s troops, or their indigenous allies and enemies."
[attachment=5993]Helmet-from-Kent.jpg[/attachment]
Canterbury Archaeological Trust report:
http://www.canterburytrust.co.uk/trust-b...ge-helmet/
University of Kent press release: http://www.kent.ac.uk/news/stories/IronAgeHelmet/2012

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Very interesting - thank you Duncan. I do not know, but wonder, how much material evidence has ever been recovered of Caesar's jaunt into Britain? I wouldn't think much could be specifically linked to such a small-scale venture.
Alexander
How interesting. Looks like one of those 'Mannheim' Coolus jobs, with no cheek guards (one of the least attractive Roman helmets ever, but never mind that...)

Why do the Canterbury Archaeological Trust call it a 'rare prehistoric helmet'? Surely the 1st C. BC is within history?

Meanwhile, for those who prefer less warrin' in their history: "This helmet emphasizes the new connections being forged across the channel, at a time when life in south-eastern England was about to change dramatically."

:whistle:
Nathan Ross
Quote:Why do the Canterbury Archaeological Trust call it a 'rare prehistoric helmet'? Surely the 1st C. BC is within history?
Especially since we know that letters were being written from Britain at this point... However, I guess that Britain was officially 'Iron Age' (and therefore 'prehistoric') until the conquest of the following century, whereupon every native Briton immediately donned a big stripey cloth and started speaking in Latin.
Quote:Why do the Canterbury Archaeological Trust call it a 'rare prehistoric helmet'? Surely the 1st C. BC is within history?
As soon as Ceasar writes about Britain, 'history' has indeed arrived on the shores of Britain. ;-)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Archaeologists like to think that the Iron Age in Britannia ended in AD43 with the Claudian Invasion and everything then becomes Romano British Confusedmile:

...and I can guarantee you fairly soon there will be a whole lot more about Caesar in Kent when the East Kent Access Road excavations are published (hopefully in my life time but don't hold your breath :wink: )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
[attachment=5994]article-2242300-16542FEB000005DC-311_634x4691Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a larger picture of the helmet that shows a better view of the La Tene type brooch and from my Richard Hattatt book on brooches this is a "Nauheim type" this is distinctly a continental type and very few are found in Britain, they date from around 80BC to AD20

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian, hope to see the picture too! ;-)

Actually since Pythias had written about Britain long before Caesar, it is well past pre-history!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It is tempting to place the helmet in the context of Caesar’s Gallic War, or indeed his expeditions to Kent in 55 and 54 BC.

I suspect some archaeologists are more concerned about mentions in the Guardian than in peer-reviewed journals.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Very interesting finds. This reminds me of the helmet found in North Bersted, Bognor Regis:

RAT

It was described as Montefortino but on the photos looked more like a Mannheim. Does anybody know of the whereabouts of that helmet and whether it has been published?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks Brian. I can see rivet holes for cheek pieces!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron

I like the brooch and this along with the dates of these type does put it very much into the Caesarian period.
Brian Stobbs
Very interesting indeed. It’s a very rare type of helmet. Did he contain cheek guards?
As I only live 18 miles from Canterbury I'll see if I can get me a look over the next few weeks!

There have been a number of digs in this area of Kent, from Margate down the Coast to Folkestone, hopefully some of the more interesting stuff they found will be published soon.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I have a friend who's husband used to live in this area I think. They dug up a piece of a Segmentata.

This is an Awesome find. Thanks for the images!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help save Roman Museum in Canterbury from closing Caballo 34 5,922 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: LvpvsRomanvs