Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alken Enge; mass grave at Lake Mossø
An entire army sacrificed in a bog

What exactly happened in the Danish village of Alken around the time of the birth of Christ? Who were the over 200 victims, and what events led to such an enormous sacrifice?

More
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Very interesting, thank you, Jona. I look forward to more news about that dig.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Thank you for the link in English.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
This is interesting! What is the evidence that makes them assign this to a sacrifice?
Could the ynot be the mass internment of battle casualties? Or is the term sacrifice
not being used with any religious signifigance?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't think it's set in stone, but other remains (of sacrifices) would have made it possible that these remains, too, were of a sacrifice. But I don't know if a 'sacrifice' needs a victim to be dead or alive?

http://www.skanderborgmuseum.dk/Alken_En...-1070.aspx
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sacrifice is an emotive word which grabs the headlines and fires the imagination.

Previous evidence of sacrificial offerings at the site cannot be denied but I think I'll keep my sceptical head on until more excavation has taken place.

There are several reasons for a bodies to be gathered in this manner and although groups of bodies have been found, I think 200 is rare (as long as there are 200 skulls and not just random body parts)

One theory behind this group here is that they were murdered hostages. On first look at the photograph there appears to be a lot more than ten bodies.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Update here
Moi Watson

Article from 2018 in PNAS here https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1721372115 The artifacts seem typologically earlier than the C14 date for the bodies from Alken Meadow (Alken Enge).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.